Latin to English Help please

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Pommy
Textkit Neophyte

Latin to English Help please

Post by Pommy »

Hi we have a paragraph that is for homework tonight and there are a few parts that I am having trouble on...

I translated the beginning of it with no problem but now I am running into some trouble.
Would be very much appreciated if people could just point out anything that is wrong..

Ibi Latinus rex eum benigne recepit atque ei filiam Laviniam in matrimonium dedit

In that place, Latinius the king kindly accepted him, but he gave his son Latinius in marriage.

Aeneas urbem condidit, quam in coniugis honorem Lavinium appellavit

Aenease founded the city, which he named in honor of Latinius.. Don't know what to do with the "in coniugis"

Thanks for your help in advanced =)

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin to English Help please

Post by Kasper »

HI Pommy,
not a bad attempt at all. I'll give you some hints to iron out your minor errors:
Ibi Latinus rex eum benigne recepit atque ei filiam Laviniam in matrimonium dedit

In that place, Latinius the king kindly accepted him, but he gave his son Latinius in marriage.

Latinus is not the name 'Latinius'. Compare 'Latinus' to, e.g., 'Romanus' or 'Gallus' or 'Graecus'.
The gender of filiam is female, not male.
You have left out 'ei'.
'Laviniam' does not translate to 'Latinius'.

Aeneas urbem condidit, quam in coniugis honorem Lavinium appellavit

Aenease founded the city, which he named in honor of Latinius.. Don't know what to do with the "in coniugis"
You have to read 'in coniugis honorem' as a whole. Coniugis is the genitive of 'coniunx'.
i presume 'Latinius' is a typo for 'Lavinius'

well done, and good luck
K

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Pommy wrote: Ibi Latinus rex eum benigne recepit atque ei filiam Laviniam in matrimonium dedit

In addition to Kasper's comments, think about the connection between these two sentences in relation to "atque." It means "and," not "but." This should help clarify the other difficulties in the second half of the sentence.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Pommy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pommy »

Thanks for the help so far.. I got a couple more sentences I need some guidance with =D.

1) Ibi haud procul a ianiculo arcem condidit, eamque Saturniam appellavit.

In that place, not far off from the Janiculum he built a fortress, Saturnus called upon.. Don't know how to use the eamque

2) Hic primus Italos agril culturam docuit

He first taught the Italians the cultivation of the field

3) Hinc Aeneas, Anchisae filius et Veneris deae, cum multis Troianis, qui ex eo bello superfuerunt, aufugit, et in italiam pervenit.

From this place Aeneas, the son of Arichius and the son of the goddess Venu, with many Tronjans, who had survived from that war, fled, and arrived in Italy.

Sorry if I went a little overboard on this just want to make sure I'm doing everything right... Thanks again for all the help!

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

Pommy wrote:1) Ibi haud procul a ianiculo arcem condidit, eamque Saturniam appellavit.

In that place, not far off from the Janiculum he built a fortress, Saturnus called upon.. Don't know how to use the eamque
Check your endings: what case (and gender) is Saturniam?
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Pommy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pommy »

Accusative feminine I think?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Pommy wrote:Accusative feminine I think?
Correct, and it should help to know that "eamque" is a combination of two items, "eam" (is, ea, id) and "que,"
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

wackyvorlon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wackyvorlon »

Also remember, feminine nouns in the singular usually end in -a, masculine -us. So if you have Laviniam in a sentence, the nominative form is Lavinia, not Lavinius.