"The First Year of Greek" by James T. Allen

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Astyages
Textkit Neophyte

"The First Year of Greek" by James T. Allen

Post by Astyages »

Hello all! (New the forum, just found it!)

I was wondering if anyone has experience with James T. Allen's "The First Year of Greek"--this was the text I used when I took Classical Greek in college and I loved it. I'd like to go through the book again, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a "key" for the translations--just so I can check my work. I've already worked through the first 11 lessons without a problem (I think), but there are a few quotes that I'm unsure of. Thanks for the info!

~Astyages

Alan Aversa
Textkit Neophyte

Re: "The First Year of Greek" by James T. Allen

Post by Alan Aversa »

Astyages wrote:I was wondering if anyone has experience with James T. Allen's "The First Year of Greek"--this was the text I used when I took Classical Greek in college and I loved it.
What did you like about it? I heard a reviewer say: "it was written before the 'Biblical Greek' and 'Attic Greek' divorce. If your primary goal is to read the Greek New Testament but you want to base that further study (using say Zerwick's Biblical Greek) on a broad basic study of classical Greek, this is the book for you."

Is this true?

Thanks