Hello!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hello!

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salve! Well, you've come to the right place. Latin is my particular passion, and Greek my hobby. If you're looking for a place to start, I stronging recommend LINGVA LATINA by Hans Ørberg; I have used this book with my students for five months now, and the results have been very positive! I also learned Latin myself by means of LINGVA LATINA a few years ago. This site shows it off nicely:

http://www.lingua-latina.dk/index2.htm

The sample pages are quite revealing to the potency of the book:

http://www.lingua-latina.dk/samples.htm

Curiously, I also am 23 and a Scorpio — my Latin blog ScorpioMartianus.com is dedicated to the theme.

As for the differences between Modern and Ancient Greek — they are manifold! I think a topic was started recently to answer that question, and there are experts here in both languages who could inform you better than I.

The main differences:
• pronunciation
• vocabulary
• grammatical usage

Which, really, could be true of any two languages! But I'll let the others clarify.

Welcome! Vale et vale.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Hi,
Jennifer wrote:If I may ask, this site says it focuses on ancient Greek; I wonder, what is the difference between ancient Greek and modern Greek?
How much of either Greek do you know, because then it would be easier to give details? But overall, the main differences are that Modern Greek has really simplified the inflections of Ancient Greek (both in terms of how many inflections there are and how these inflections are formed) and avoids the long, complicated sentences you often see in Ancient Greek. Pronunciation-wise, the actual pronunciation has of course changed, but Greeks today pronounce both Ancient and Modern in the same way, so that's doesn't have to be a problem. Even with vocabulary, the changes are not that great, largely because so many Ancient words have been reintroduced in the Modern language and so are the same, and even those that have changed over the years are easily recognized because of the very conservative spelling.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Welcome to textkit, Jennifer.

As for the differences between Modern and Ancient Greek — they are manifold!
You just reminded me that I need to have the exhaust manifold in my car checked. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis