JSTOR

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

JSTOR

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi,

The library of my University offers access to JSTOR. I've discovered it this last week and I spent yesterday evening on it. I've downloaded some articles to my pen-drive and I've read other ones I was interested in but when I came home, I was not able to access to JSTOR from my PC. I've an account but JSTOR says that I must be at a PC from my University to be able to use the service. Does anyone know if there is any way to use JSTOR from another PC? If not, it's really a pity.

Thanks,
Gonzalo

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: JSTOR

Post by spiphany »

You should contact your university to find out whether they have a way for university members to access library subscriptions off-campus. For example, the university I'm at has a VPN (virtual private network) system - something like a proxy, I guess - which allows you to access JSTOR, etc. I think other US universities have similar systems set up.

You will not be able to access all articles from JSTOR, in any case, only those journals for which your university has a subscription.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

JSTOR is a standard periodical subscription service (which I adore and use often, by the way). Someone does have to pay for it.

At the university I work for I can log into the local network via a VPN, at which point JSTOR is happy to talk to me again. I don't know where you are, but that may be a possibility.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

I have noticed such a VPN at https://www.upm.es/politecnica_virtual/ and I am going to try. Thanks for the help. I´ll tell if it works.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

It works! I am not able to ask the librarian herself right now because I live 60 kms far from the Campus but I am using that kind of proxy server and I can access to JSTOR. What a surprise! I am so happy...

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Just another question: How can I save articles I am interested in to read later? I did "save my citations" but when I reset my session it´s lost and I cannot see them.

Regards,
Gonzalo

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

There should be a small panel on the upper right side of each article page where you see the "Save Citation" button. Below that a little there is a "PDF" button.
Last edited by quendidil on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Ah, I thought I could just save the location on "My JSTOR" tab. So, I must to download them to my PC. Thanks for the clarification. JSTOR is fantastic.

Regards,
Gonzalo

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Well, I see now "67 saved citations" which I was not able to see a few hours before. So, I don´t need to download the articles I want to read later, I guess.