Textkit Logo

Τranslations Critiques

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.

Τranslations Critiques

Postby palindrome » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:22 pm

I’m trying to learn NT Greek from Clayton Croy's Primer of Biblical Greek and it turns out, there is no
answer key for the exercises. So it would be most appreciated if I could get any critiques for my translations.


γινώσκομεν ὅτι πιστεύετε καί θέλετε διδάσκειν
we know that you believe and you wish to teach.

ἀκούω καὶ βλέπω ὅτι ἀδελφὴ γράφει
I know and I see that a sister writes.

λέγεις ὅτι ἀδελφὸς λύει οὐ πιστεύομεν
we don’t beleive the borther you say is distroing.

θέλει ἀδελφὴ ἀκούειν; οὐ γινώσκοω
a sister wishes to hear, not learn

λύουσι καί οὐ θέλομεν βλέπειν
they desire to distroy and and see


Thanks,
Alan
palindrome
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: Τranslations Critiques

Postby Bert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:53 am

palindrome wrote:
γινώσκομεν ὅτι πιστεύετε καί θέλετε διδάσκειν
we know that you believe and you wish to teach.

I think that's fine.
palindrome wrote:ἀκούω καὶ βλέπω ὅτι ἀδελφὴ γράφει
I know and I see that a sister writes.

ἀκούω is I hear.
palindrome wrote:λέγεις ὅτι ἀδελφὸς λύει οὐ πιστεύομεν
we don’t beleive the borther you say is distroing.

There must be a punctuation missing here because there are two subjects in the ὅτι clause.
I am going to assume there is a question mark after λύει. Then it could mean something like:
You are saying a brother is destroying? We don't believe it.
palindrome wrote:θέλει ἀδελφὴ ἀκούειν; οὐ γινώσκοω
a sister wishes to hear, not learn

(Spelling error in the last word.)
Does a sister want to hear? I don't know.
palindrome wrote:λύουσι καί οὐ θέλομεν βλέπειν
they desire to distroy and and see

They are destroying and we don't want to see (it).



Thanks,
Alan[/quote]
Bert
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Arthur Ontario Canada


Return to Koine and Biblical Greek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests