Epulum ad nauseum?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Arand
Textkit Neophyte

Epulum ad nauseum?

Post by Arand »

Hello, I am trying to put together a somewhat comical Latin slogan for a society and I am trying to confirm whether or not the phrase I've got so far works, so I'd like to ask you:

Would "Epulum ad nauseum" translate to something like "feasting/celebrating until exhausted/nauseous"?

If not, is there any other word that could be used instead of "Epulum" which could in some way be equated to the modern word "Party". Also, would it be possible to get something with a nicely rhyming "-um" ending?

Thanks
- Arand

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Epulum ad nauseum?

Post by thesaurus »

Grammatically, it should be "ad nauseam" with an "-am" ending.

I'll try to think of some snappy combinations, but right now maybe "Bibendum ad nauseam" which roughly means "drink until your sick," but that might not be the best message...

"Convivium" is probably the best meaning for "party," but it's a noun. I'm not sure what an appropriate verb would be. I'm guessing the Romans may have been content to specify it in terms of drinking and eating...
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Arand
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arand »

Ah, okay, so then "Epulum ad nauseam" would make sense as "celebration until you're sick"?

Actually, I think most people concerned would say that Bibendum would fit very nicely indeed :lol: , but I was trying to make it a bit more general so it could at least be interpreted in a "nice way" if you wanted to...

Thanks for the quick response!
- Arand

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

"To party:" celebrare

Though I like this option:

BIBAMVS AD NAVSEAM

or

BIBENTES AD NAVSEAM
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Arand
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arand »

Lucus Eques wrote:"To party:" celebrare
Though I like this option:
BIBAMVS AD NAVSEAM
or
BIBENTES AD NAVSEAM
Um, I'm very much blank when it comes to Latin, so what is the difference in those, and compared to "BIBENDVM..."
And how would one put celebrare into a phrase like this? Also, when looked up in a dictionary celebrare (-celebratio) seems to only yield "crowd", and no mention of any feasting...?

- Arand

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve Arand

"Epulum" is a noun ("a feast") not a verb, so "Epulum ad nauseam" isn't right.
However, you know the motto "Per ardua ad astra": "Through challenge(s) to the stars" (Starship Enterprise, Royal Air Force, Buck Rogers, Kansas).
It might be cute to have the motto: "Per epula ad nauseam" "Through feasts to nauseam", as you set off on an adventure to stretch your capacity for self-abuse.
And/or another good motto or toast might be: "Epulémur ad nauseam!" or "Let's feast/stuff ourselves till we're sick!" (Epulor is the verb to feast or be overindulgent foodwise)

Bibamus = "Let's drink"
Bibentes = "Drinking (the lot of us)"
Edamus = "Let's eat/gobble"