gildersleeve latin grammar on ebay at nice price

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

gildersleeve latin grammar on ebay at nice price

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I can't use this book because it's a 1963, but the price is sure right:<br /><br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1<br /><br />The seller describes this book as in 'brand new condition'<br /><br />I don't know the seller - so of course - buyer beware! But it looks to be a great deal if there aren't many bidders.<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:gildersleeve latin grammar on ebay at nice price

Post by mariek »

<br />Great price.<br /><br />There's another one whose current bid is slightly higher, $10.50.<br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2916710<br /><br />If there are several of you who are thinking of bidding for this item, I think it would be more efficacious to discuss it privately amongst yourselves to decide who should ultimately go for it; otherwise you'll just end up unknowingly driving up the price by trying to outbid each other. Just an idea. I hate the thought of unnecessarily driving up the price ... when you could have paid much less and then used the amount "saved" to purchase other Latin books. :) Using the Textkit Amazon redirector, of course... ;)<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

that one's even better! The cover looks great.<br /><br />I say to the highest bidder wins! ;D ( can you tell that I'm a capitalist!)<br /><br />My strategy is always only bidding what you're willing to pay for it. You get better deals that way and in time you almost always find a book at the right price.<br /><br />Unless it's NT, Goodwin, Smyth, Seymour or Sidgwick - there's too much demand for them.<br /><br />TIP: You get the best deals on books when the seller has not properly advertised the product. For example, right now there's a A&G Latin Grammar with no bids and a starting price of only 3.99 and described as 'very good' condition.<br /><br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... y=29306<br /><br />I'm guessing it's an AG because it's a 1903 and 490 pages. I would be surpirsed if this auction gets even 1 bid because it's so poorly described.<br /><br />Another good one:<br /><br />White's First Greek Book in a lot described as good condition.<br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... y=45121<br /><br />White's is just listed in a lot.<br /><br />If you're looking for a book, you must search for author, title and publisher in the title and description.<br /><br />Some of my best deals:<br /><br />Tutti Verbi $1<br />Middell Liddell $1<br /><br />Finall Tip: Always email the seller and ask specifically about markings in either pen or pencil. Nothings' a bigger bummer than a book full of notes - they're not worth it at any price!<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />You are obviously more eBay savvy than I am. I haven't made many bids/purchases. I did notice why I didn't find the Gildersleeve you mentioned ... it was because I usually search on "latin grammar", and the person who posted that book misspelled it as "grammEr".<br /><br />Besides markings on a book, I think it's also a good idea to ask whether there is any odor (has it been stored in a smoke-free enviroment?). I don't mind that old book scent, but I wouldn't care for any other "gratuitous" odors...<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

ah, the ol' 'grammer' error. Amazon does that for a NT book.<br /><br />Smoke books - that's a good one two! I bought to hard cover editions of Fagler's Iliad and Odyssey and they smelled like they had been in a smoker's paradise!<br /><br />Fortunately, the smell is almost gone..
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Now I know how Jeff gets all of these books! He picks up all the misspelled ones that everyone else overlooks ;D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

sometimes, but more often I just bid more! When you know what you want you're demand is always a bit higher for the right book.<br /><br />don't forget too abebooks.com and alibris.com - those places are where you find the REALLY rare ones.
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=701;start=0#6760 date=1064430577]<br />don't forget too abebooks.com and alibris.com - those places are where you find the REALLY rare ones.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />yes! my great uncle owns a small chain of used bookstores which is affiliated with abebooks and provides some of its content. once I found a beatiful and old little set of the hebrew pentateuch and wanted to buy it *SO* badly but it was very expensive and I couldn't justify it (since I gave up on hebrew years ago...) but they have some really cool finds!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

*sniff* all this talk about acquiring marvellous books and... ohhh why why WHY don't I have access to a credit card?!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Credit card?! :o Count not having one as one of your blessings! Now, a credit card where you could just spend the money....and not have to pay it back, ever...that's more like it! ;)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Raya link=board=6;threadid=701;start=0#6832 date=1064484229]<br />*sniff* all this talk about acquiring marvellous books and... ohhh why why WHY don't I have access to a credit card?!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Not having a credit card can be a good thing ... then you don't have to contemplate setting up Direct Deposit to ________ (fill in your favorite store). I knew someone who spent too much of his time on eBay and uBid just trying to find stuff to buy.<br /><br />I know most sellers on eBay accept payment through Paypal where you sign up with a credit card. I think Paypal prefers that you also provide a checking acct number. I wonder whether they have a different option where you can sign up with Paypal to pay for your eBay purchases and they can just debit your checking acct, kind alike how those check cards people use to pay for stuff at the grocery store, gas station, etc. If Paypal have something like this, then it would enable you to participate in the eBay bidding frenzy. :)<br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Not having a credit card can be very annoying, though. You cannot hire a car in Britain without one, and quite a few internet shops also only accept credit cards.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />On the upside, you're about to go to college. I don't know whether it's the same in the UK, but over here in the US, credit card companies just love giving out credit cards to college students. You know, get 'em hooked and in debt at an early age...<br /><br />I don't think you can rent a car here without a credit card.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

They keep on trying to get me to sign up for a credit card...Visa, I think. I never even open the advertisements. ;)

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

Whenever I need to buy something online, I just get mom to use her card, then pay her back, It's always worked for me! ;) I don't really want a credit card.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Ah yes, they do pursue university students in Canada with the same credit card bombardment.<br /><br />Several weeks in the summer my mail consisted of simply fee statements from school (reminding me how much I didn't need to pile on more debt) and credit card promotional mail (reminding me that in order to secure I loan I should act now for the low interest rate of 'X' per month etc. etc.).<br /><br />Did I refuse? Yes mainly because for me the temptation would be too great. I couldn't imagine not having an immediate restriction on the amount of books I could purchase online. Right now I wait for gift certificates to be bought and do it that way. And like Puella mentioned, when I run into a situation when you absolutely MUST have one (for ex: in order to buy a school jacket here) I go to my parents and use theirs.<br /><br />But Raya I would say that if you have self-discipline (more than I) and find yourself in multiple situations where your lack of credit card holding has really and truly prevented you from getting something you need than go for it. <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Puella Parva link=board=6;threadid=701;start=0#7011 date=1064618626]<br />Whenever I need to buy something online, I just get mom to use her card, then pay her back, It's always worked for me! ;) I don't really want a credit card.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />My mom is more old school. I got a credit card before she did! <br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=701;start=15#7034 date=1064626701]<br />Right now I wait for gift certificates to be bought and do it that way. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />My friends and family used to give me gift cards to Books-A-Million for birthdays, Christmasses, etc. Now they've switched over to giving me more "interesting" presents (were my thank-you letters not nice enough?), like the little bath sets with lotion and shower gel-and I never use those. :-\ <br /><br />I am so glad I do not have a credit card. Sometimes it's inconvenient, but when that happens, there's always Mamma. And going through her makes it harder to spend money on that book that I really want but really shouldn't be buying right now!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

My mum doesn't have a credit card and it's very inconvenient for her sometimes. When I do need to order something online I can always use one of my dad's though, but when I move out I'll definitely need my own one and I'm quite sure I won't go mad spending money. I've managed to save quite a bit of money over the years and haven't been tempted to spend it, so I'm sure I'll be all right with one (when I say quite a bit... well... it's not that much of course).