Textkit Logo

WHAT I BELIEVE (AN ANSWER TO THOSE CONSTANTLY WONDERING)

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

WHAT I BELIEVE (AN ANSWER TO THOSE CONSTANTLY WONDERING)

Postby Neos » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Re: WHAT I BELIEVE (AN ANSWER TO THOSE CONSTANTLY WONDERING)

Postby annis » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:53 pm

Neos wrote: The members of gentis memorized their laws from childhood and kept their laws a secret among themselves.

Wwooaahh — :shock: — pure, undiluted crackpottery.

Neos wrote:PS1. I will not come back to this issue again.

Then that's the end of your 19th century etymologizing in this forum.

Textkit has a certain obligation, not much dwelt upon, but there nonetheless, to make sure that the information we're passing of to students, whether in school or self-teaching, is fundamentally sound. This means passing on and explaining the very broad international scholarly consensus. It is widely agreed that ξίφος is a sword, loquar is the future of loquor, and Greek and Latin are sibling languages, not parent and child. From time to time we will dwell on recent research (e.g., Greek particles, Latin word order), but these are always identified as such. What we are not under any obligation to provide, however, is a space for the incoherent wish-fulfillment fantasies of Greek nationalists. Obviously, there are already other outlets for that.

It is not my experience that people who believe in vast, ancient conspiracies are much interested in genuine discussion. Your claim that this is your only post on the matter is another sign of that. At least I want to document the reasoning for my future pronouncement to fellow Textkittens. If it fits more neatly into your worldview, by all means imagine me part of Carolingian Conspiracy to hide this knowledge. I could use the glamor of a Hollywood Blockbuster bad guy in my life.

{Moderator Voice On}
Neos, it is clear now that you are a positive harm to the mission of Textkit. We shouldn't have to clean up after you. If you post any more of your outdated etymologies here, I will lock your account.
{Moderator Voice Off}
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby calvinist » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:29 pm

I don't understand how the early Roman writers who wrote in Greek would have typical Roman names like Quintus and Fabius unless of course Latin was their first language because they were Roman Romans. Also, educated Romans always spoke Greek because it was the lingua franca after Alexander... I don't know how that can mean that Latin was derived from Greek..... and you said you wanted to let everyone know what you believe but I still don't know exactly.... so do you believe Latin is derived from Greek, not that the languages may have influenced each other, but that one came out of the other?
calvinist
Textkit Fan

Postby thesaurus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Unfortunately, classics, linguistics, and history are a matter of what we know and can prove, not what we believe.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek