Help Requested:- "Aperto"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pb
Textkit Neophyte

Help Requested:- "Aperto"

Post by pb »

Hi!, I'm translating parts of an early science book<br />into english. I'm a bit rusty and would appreciate<br />some help with the best way to translate some phrases.<br />Here's an example I'm not sure of:<br /><br />Aperto in fenestra foraminulo perquam parvo,<br />introducatur per illud in cubiculum, lumen Solis.<br /><br />----<br /><br />Should I translate this as "Having uncovered/opened<br />..." or "With an uncovered/opened ..."?<br /><br />regards Peter Boyd

Montanus
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Help Requested:- "Aperto"

Post by Montanus »

My Latin is also rusty - and English not my first language, but I still venture a reply: As the "per illud" evidently refers to the "foraminulo", I take the "Aperto ....foraminulo" to be a double ablative. So I would suggest translating "Having opened..."

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

aperto...foraminulo...parvo is an ablative absolute, it sets a scene for the action of the sentence but is not governed by the subject. So the sentence goes "When a very small aperature is opened in the window, the light of the sun is let in through it into the room (box?)". By the way, are you working on Kirchner or someone like that?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Aperto in fenestra foraminulo perquam parvo,<br />introducatur per illud in cubiculum, lumen Solis.<br /><br />With the uncovered, extremely small aperture in the window, the light of the Sun may be introduced through that into the room.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

I think Vincent's translation here is so far the most accurate. These seem to be instructions for the reader to tell him how to carry out an experiment. The only thing still missing in our attempts to translate this accurately is the fact that the verb "introducatur" is a subjunctive and should be translated as such.<br /><br />"with a small aperture opened ......through which the sunlight..... may be admitted...."<br /><br /><br />-S.