ISO Scans of Richard Porson's Greek Handwriting

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
savarez
Textkit Neophyte

ISO Scans of Richard Porson's Greek Handwriting

Post by savarez »

http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en ... s19th.html

The Porson Greek font is based on the handwriting of the 18th Century Greek scholar, Richard Porson. From what I have been able to gather, Porson transcribed a handwritten portion of Medea, which was the genesis of this font.

However, after many hours of web crawling, I have been unable to find any scans or images of Porson's actual handwriting, so I humbly turn to the Greek aficionados on this site in the hope that someone will have images or scans of Porson's handwritten transcriptions.

Thanks in advance!

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, here is an e.g. taken from a book called "Surviving Greek Tragedy" by Garland 2004 (remove spaces):

www . freewebs . com / mhninaeide / porson1 . JPG

this is a photo; if you need a scan for better quality let me know, cheers :)

savarez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by savarez »

Wow!!! That's amazing! My handwriting is abysmal by comparison. I would love to have a higher resolution scan if it is not too much trouble for you! I've sent you my e-mail in a PM.

Thank you for taking the time to post this amazing image!

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, here is the best res i can do (remove spaces):

www . freewebs . com / mhninaeide / porson1 . PDF

cheers :)

savarez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by savarez »

Thank you very much. I've been looking to improve my greek handwriting, and having an exemplar like this is a wonderful find.

I appreciate your taking the time to dig through your references to locate this!