New Book on Verbal Aspect

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

New Book on Verbal Aspect

Post by easternugget »

Have any of you seen the new book, Basics of Verbal Aspect in Biblical Greek by Constantine Campbell? I hadn't heard of the the author before, but I got it, and I have enjoyed the first few chapters. So far he has explained why verbal aspect is important, the history of advances made in the study of verbal aspect, and the perfective aspect. Someone has my Wallace's Grammar but I want to compare what Wallace says.

Campbell so far has said that the aorist does not innately contain past temporal reference but remoteness which often when taken in context plays out as past. His arguments seem to make sense but I wonder how the native speaker would have thought about it.

It seems to be a good book though, easy to understand, and not a horrible price either. It is more focused on the NT Koine Greek, but I don't think he would limit his view to just the NT. I am not sure what there is in the classical field related to such material, but this seems to be an accessible introduction.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: New Book on Verbal Aspect

Post by Bert »

Dr. Rodney Decker (whose opinion I respect) has a favourable review here.
http://ntresources.com/blog/?p=35

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: New Book on Verbal Aspect

Post by modus.irrealis »

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

Actually, I think that review is for another one of Campbell's books, one that is more in depth. The book I have is not as technical as the review sounded. Basics is well...basic. However, the author is still the same.