Essay: any thoughts on it?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
languageleon
Textkit Neophyte

Essay: any thoughts on it?

Post by languageleon »

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~wcd/Latin.htm

I was just wondering if people would agree with his points or not. Personally, I think Wheelock's was great, though I haven't done any Latin in a long time to justify how far it has taken me.

It seems there is no good book to learn from these days. Why, oh why!, couldn't we have born in the 1600 as rich, Europeans?

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: Essay: any thoughts on it?

Post by cantator »

languageleon wrote:I was just wondering if people would agree with his points or not. Personally, I think Wheelock's was great, though I haven't done any Latin in a long time to justify how far it has taken me.
Not a lot of new thought in the article, but it's not a bad one.
It seems there is no good book to learn from these days.
I started with Wheelock more than thirty years ago. After a couple years instruction with a private teacher I started reading Latin literature on my own. I'm still reading it on my own and loving it more than ever.
Why, oh why!, couldn't we have born in the 1600 as rich Europeans?
I was. I got beheaded on a conspiracy charge. :(
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

languageleon wrote: Why, oh why!, couldn't we have born in the 1600 as rich, Europeans?
Why not rather as a rich Patrician during the height of the Roman empire?

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

quendidil wrote:
languageleon wrote: Why, oh why!, couldn't we have born in the 1600 as rich, Europeans?
Why not rather as a rich Patrician during the height of the Roman empire?
Been there, done that too. I got proscribed by the Second Triumvirate, the bastards. :(
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.