muliere mulierem

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

muliere mulierem

Post by COPLAND 3 »

I have run onto this in a Latin manuscript called the Bezae. I was curious if this has a meaning that is meant to express or emphasize something to a Latin reader, or if this is a scribal error that accidentally repeats a word. Here is the passage in context

adducunt autem scribae et Pharisaei in peccato muliere mulierem conpraehensam et statuentes eam in medio

This passage is from John 8:3, the Vulgate has

adducunt autem scribae et Pharisaei mulierem in adulterio deprehensam et statuerunt eam in medio

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: muliere mulierem

Post by thesaurus »

COPLAND 3 wrote:I have run onto this in a Latin manuscript called the Bezae. I was curious if this has a meaning that is meant to express or emphasize something to a Latin reader, or if this is a scribal error that accidentally repeats a word. Here is the passage in context

adducunt autem scribae et Pharisaei in peccato muliere mulierem conpraehensam et statuentes eam in medio

This passage is from John 8:3, the Vulgate has

adducunt autem scribae et Pharisaei mulierem in adulterio deprehensam et statuerunt eam in medio
It isn't a repetition, but seems to me a different way of phrasing what the Vulgate says. I think "muliere" should read "muliebre," which is the adjectival, ablative form of "womanly." Then "in peccato muliebre" would read "in womanly sin," i.e., a circumlocution for adultery.

The second "mulierem" is part of "conpraehensam" which forms the object of the sentence "a woman (having been) caught."

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Thank you very much!