Salvete

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Джек
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete

Post by Джек »

Salvete!

Hi, I'm Jack. I've been studying languages since the beginning of secondary school, so for about seven or so years now. I took French and German for A level and am now studying Russian at university. I have a keen interest in languages and ancient history, which is where my desire to learn Latin has come from. I would eventually like to be able to read about the Romans in their own language. I am a complete beginner. I do not consciously know any Latin outside of what is similar to English and French. I am aware of the Latin cases, although I have not as yet made an attempt to commit them to memory. I have ordered Lingva Latina, so will be getting into Latin fairly soon. Can anyone suggest a good way of getting started? Is it better to hang around here and learn vocabulary, or is it better to learn the grammar inside out first? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Jack
If I am so brave as to attempt to write in Latin, please correct any mistakes I may make. Thank you

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Salve, Jacobe.

If you've already ordered Lingua Latina by Hans Orberg, I'd suggest starting by reading that from beginning to end, slowly and with repetition as necessary. That will teach you more vocabulary than you could hope to learn yourself out of context. If you have some down time before you get it, I suggest reading the beginning chapters of some traditional grammars (many available online). Lingua Latina will teach you the grammar, but it helps to read the rules and paradigms on your own. Alternating between these two approaches can bring success.

Джек
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Джек »

Salve

Yes, I have already ordered Lingva Latina; it should be arriving in the next few days. Is it advisable to dive straight into the cases, or work through a grammar book from the start? I imagine that the cases are a very large part of Latin grammar, as they are with German and Russian, however I don't think that they will be the only challenge awaiting me. For example, like French, Latin is likely to have complicated verb forms like the subjunctive. I don't know, I'm just using my knowledge of other languages to take educated guesses, as it were.

Gr?tias multas.

Jack

PS - Are the lines above some of the letters in Latin compulsory to put in, or are they just there are pronunciation aids for learners?
If I am so brave as to attempt to write in Latin, please correct any mistakes I may make. Thank you

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Джек wrote:Salve

PS - Are the lines above some of the letters in Latin compulsory to put in, or are they just there are pronunciation aids for learners?
No, but the macrons tell you that the vowels are long.

Vale!

Джек
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Джек »

Gratias multas :)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Amici, what pronunciation site can we recommend for Jack to get started in? Does Alatius's site cover vowel length and such?

Alatius, could you provide that link?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS