Textkit Logo

Latin as the Official Language of the European Union

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Latin as the Official Language of the European Union

Postby Lucus Eques » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Cari auscultatores!

A terrific young Latinist shares his opinion this week at ScorpioMartianus that Latin should become the international European language:

http://www.ScorpioMartianus.com/

Do you agree with him? Would Latin really be the best? Why not Ancient Greek? Why not English?

I'd love to hear from you fine folks; preferably write your response in Latin (write responses here, or email ScorpioMartianus@gmail.com if you prefer); if some discussion erupts here on the matter, that would be great! it'll become a part of the next show.

Valete!
User avatar
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: Tōkyō, IAPONIA

Re: Latin as the Official Language of the European Union

Postby Deses » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Lucus Eques wrote:Cari auscultatores!

A terrific young Latinist shares his opinion this week at ScorpioMartianus that Latin should become the international European language:

http://www.ScorpioMartianus.com/

Do you agree with him? Would Latin really be the best? Why not Ancient Greek? Why not English?


Why only European Union?
User avatar
Deses
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:38 pm

Re: Latin as the Official Language of the European Union

Postby Lucus Eques » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Deses wrote:
Lucus Eques wrote:Cari auscultatores!

A terrific young Latinist shares his opinion this week at ScorpioMartianus that Latin should become the international European language:

http://www.ScorpioMartianus.com/

Do you agree with him? Would Latin really be the best? Why not Ancient Greek? Why not English?


Why only European Union?


Now that's the kind of forward thinking I'm talkin' about! :D Totius mundi ergo: quid putatis?
User avatar
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: Tōkyō, IAPONIA

Postby easternugget » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 am

Hold on now. Latin can have Europe but Ancient Greek claims the United States :-).
easternugget
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:22 pm
Location: Jackson, TN

Postby Estoniacus Inoriginale » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 am

I'd like to get a link to download the podcast because the plugins don't work. Edit: no need, got access to files!
Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 am
Location: VRBS PRIMVS VEL CAPVT REVALIA IN ESTONIA

Postby quendidil » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:38 am

Why not reconstructed Proto-Indo-European while we're at that? :D

BTW Luce, is there an RSS feed to which I can subscribe?
quendidil
Textkit Member
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:39 am

Postby Estoniacus Inoriginale » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:26 pm

WHOA there! I need to get a hang of Latin first! I've been learning for one year, so there's some time until I even consider speaking like this: Tod kékluwos χowis ħégrom bhugét. In Latin, I'll try: Hac audibitur, ovis agro fugit.
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4Hfk&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 am
Location: VRBS PRIMVS VEL CAPVT REVALIA IN ESTONIA

Postby darodalaf » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:22 pm

Old Norse :-)

I-E grammar familiar to those with a Latin/Greek backgound with vocabulary familiar to Anglophones.

Admittedly some obtuse spelling but not nearly so much as Greek. ;-)

daro
darodalaf
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Postby Eurysilas » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:03 am

In my opinion, a language should be selected that's still in use today. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, Latin, while not being an entirely dead language, is certainly not alive and well, either (I guess that makes it an undead language? :wink: ). If Latin was adopted, it'd have A LOT of catching up to do to integrate modern words into the language.
User avatar
Eurysilas
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 am
Location: Missouri, United States of America, North America

Postby mingshey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Any tongue's okay for any cosmopolitan community. But please leave Ancient Greek for geeks.
It has a bitter history of being spoiled while used as a lingua franca.
User avatar
mingshey
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:38 am
Location: Seoul

Postby Estoniacus Inoriginale » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Tod kékluwos χowis ħégrom bhugét. In Latin, I'll try: Hac audibitur, ovis agro fugit. For emphasis LOL. w like w in english, bh like bh in Sanskrit, ħ like I don't know, χ perhaps like chi, but it(χ) didn't get imported into most IE languages.
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4Hfk&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 am
Location: VRBS PRIMVS VEL CAPVT REVALIA IN ESTONIA

Postby Lucus Eques » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:21 am

What's an RSS feed?

Eurysilas wrote:In my opinion, a language should be selected that's still in use today. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, Latin, while not being an entirely dead language, is certainly not alive and well, either (I guess that makes it an undead language? :wink: ). If Latin was adopted, it'd have A LOT of catching up to do to integrate modern words into the language.


Not really: http://www.amazon.com/Conversational-La ... 0865163812
User avatar
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: Tōkyō, IAPONIA

Postby annis » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:01 pm

Lucus Eques wrote:What's an RSS feed?


RDF Site Syndication made blog reading easier! Assuming you use Safari, go to one of your favorite classics blogs. In the address textbox you should see a blue RSS box at the far right. Click on that. There may be several syndication methods to choose from — I generally go with RSS rather than ATOM. You'll then get a summary of recent posts, and a bunch of further options on the right hand side. If you bookmark the RSS feed, Safari will check the RSS automatically for you, and put the number of unread blog posts in your Bookmarks. So now, rather than checking by hand for new posts, your browser will do it for you.

All modern browsers have some way to do this for you. There are also web tools that syndicate for you more prettily than browsers manage it, such as Google Reader.

RSS saved my life.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 3397
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:55 pm
Location: Madison, WI, USA

Postby Deudeditus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 pm

darodalaf wrote:Old Norse :-)


daro


Yeah, that would rock. The only real problem is the kind of culture-specific words that wouldn't necessarily apply to an Italian. Church Latin would be probably the most practical... but not as cool as gamla íslenzkan. I mean, did the Romans have a word for Berserker? Maybe they did, I don't know.

I think this is my first post here for a bloody year or two... wow. time flies when you're not having fun as well, I guess.

itaque salutem uobis dico... iterum.
User avatar
Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:15 am
Location: The world, man.

Postby calvinist » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 pm

Lucus Eques wrote:What's an RSS feed?

Eurysilas wrote:In my opinion, a language should be selected that's still in use today. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, Latin, while not being an entirely dead language, is certainly not alive and well, either (I guess that makes it an undead language? :wink: ). If Latin was adopted, it'd have A LOT of catching up to do to integrate modern words into the language.


Not really: http://www.amazon.com/Conversational-La ... 0865163812

yes, i have to get that book!
User avatar
calvinist
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:24 pm
Location: San Diego, CA


Return to Open Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests