De vocativo pronominorum possesivorum...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Swth\r
Textkit Fan

De vocativo pronominorum possesivorum...

Post by Swth\r »

Could anyone please explain to me which possesive pronouns have vocative form? I (think I) know the follow:

meus -> mi/meus
mea -> mea
noster -> noster

What about other genders of persons (or numbers)?

Potest quidam, quaeso, me docere quae pronomina possesiva casum vocativum habeant? Scio solum haec:

meus -> mi/meus
mea -> mea
noster -> noster

Nescio vero an altera genera vel alterae personae (vel alteri numeri) vocativum habeant necne.
Dives qui sapiens est...

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

I am pretty certain that mi (nom. sg. masc.) is the only one that differs from the nominative, hopefully someone else will chime in and verify. All other genders, singular and plural, have the same form as the nominative including noster and the rest.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

confirmed, meus is the only one with a special vocative. note that 'mi' is only vocative singular masculine, the other genders are normal and the plural masculine is 'mei'. Also, consider that possessive pronouns would not normally occur in the vocative except in the first person (and usually first person singular, at that).

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

benissimus wrote:confirmed, meus is the only one with a special vocative. note that 'mi' is only vocative singular masculine, the other genders are normal and the plural masculine is 'mei'. Also, consider that possessive pronouns would not normally occur in the vocative except in the first person (and usually first person singular, at that).
So, we have:

meus -> mi/meus, (mei)
mea -> mea, (meae)
meum -> meum, (mea)

noster -> noster, (nostri)
nostra -> nostra, (nostrae)
nostrum -> nostrum, (nostra)

But may I also ask about the use of "mi" and "meus"? Is the following use the correct one?

mi pater - meus pater
mi exrcitus - meus exercitus

But:

mi socie - meus socius
mi fili - meus filius

I suppose meus socie - meus fili is wrong ???

As for quotation in bold, I was suspecting that something like that should happen. Thank you both guys for the help!
Dives qui sapiens est...

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

benissimus wrote:note that 'mi' is only vocative singular masculine
oops! yes, meus is the nominative.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Swth\r wrote:I suppose meus socie - meus fili is wrong ???
Salve Swth\r
"Meus" is rarely used in the vocative, but it can be. "Mi" is regularly used.
Non falsum est, sed rarò vocativo casu utitur. "Mi" plerumque utitur
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

meus is used for the vocative in certain cases for stylistic reasons. For instance, deus has a base of "de" and so uses deus as the vocative (as opposed to 'dee') and so throughout the Vulgate you will find Deus meus "my God!" and not Deus mi, which would technically be correct although not preferred. So, meus fili is not technically wrong, but mi fili is much better.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

Once more, thank you all fellows!
Dives qui sapiens est...