Exordium Aeneidis cum musicâ

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Exordium Aeneidis cum musicâ

Post by adrianus »

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be grateful for responses to this QuickTime extract of the first few lines of Virgil's Aeneid set to music.

http://www.adrianmallon.com/games/Aenei ... neid02.htm

Amabò vobis, sententias invito de hac pelliculâ, in quâ exordium Aeneidis Virgilii cum musicâ recitatur.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Adriane, it's simply beautiful. Even people who couldn't understand Latin would enjoy it. Many thanks for sharing it.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

That's really kind of you, Gonzalo. Many thanks. Really, you find nothing (even very small) to criticize? I welcome the feedback.
Tam benignus es, Gonzalo, et gratias plurimas tibi ago. Verò, adnotasne nullum quodcunque, et etiam parvulum, quod displicet? Retroactiones libenter accipiam.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: Exordium Aeneidis cum musicâ

Post by cantator »

adrianus wrote:If you wouldn't mind, I'd be grateful for responses to this QuickTime extract of the first few lines of Virgil's Aeneid set to music.]
Okee-dokee, here we go.

First, I wouldn't say it's a "setting" so much as a recitation to music. As an experiment it has virtue, and I welcome any device that helps students acquire sensitivity to quantity in poetry. The music essentially acts as a metronome, a timekeeper for judging the more-or-less exact amount of time for each syllable relative to other syllables. Correct me if necessary, but I don't think your intent was to provide a deep musical commentary on the poetry itself.

Si vis, eamus.

Primum, dicam operam tuam non tantum compositionem quantum recitationem esse. Sed experimentum virtutem habet, et saluto machinam ullam quae adiuvare scolares ad rem metricam sensiles esse potest. Vere, musica hic metronomos est, ut scolares quantitatem comparitivam syllabarum omnium iudicare possint. Emenda me si necesse est , sed non considero propositum tuum de carmen ipsum altum commentarium musicum esse.
Last edited by cantator on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Exordium Aeneidis cum musicâ

Post by adrianus »

cantator wrote:Correct me if necessary, but I don't think your intent was to provide a deep musical commentary on the poetry itself.
You're exactly right, Cantator. I'm aiming at simplicity for now. This experiment is as much for me as for anyone else.
Descriptè dicis, Cantator. Simplicitatem mihi jamjamquè propono. Quantum mihi quàm alio hoc experimentum.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Over all, it's very good, but, if I should be nitpicking, there are some (just a few) irregularities in the metre. Note especially "Latio" in verse 6 and 31, where I think you prolong the a too much. In verse 24, you rest on "quod" a bit long, maybe. Sed haec minora sunt. Primarily, I would like you to elide more: "multum ille et terris jactatus et alto" with two clear hiatus(es) in "multum ille et" does not a hexameter make.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I'm so pleased that you are nitpicking, Alatius. I do agree about the elision. I was deliberately pushing how lightly I could get away with the elision. In my head was the intention of keeping the beat and metre while speaking very distinctly,—to see could it be done. Over the top in parts, I agree. Thanks also for the "Latio" and "quod" notes.

Quàm gaudeo, Alati, ut meas lendes decerpas. :D De elisione admodùm consentio. Consultò nimiùsque, elisionem hîc leniùs tracto. Mens mea erat ut cum ictus atque metrum teneo disertè recitem,—ut sciar an id faci possit. Curae partibus injustae, certé. Gratias quoquè de corrigendis ad "Latio" et "quod" pertinentibus.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salve, Adriane!

A lovely recording and setting! Os accentusque Hibernicus etiam Latine utut Anglice prorsus optime sonatur!

Yes, there are a number of inconsistencies metrically. A stricter approach to the metre would be beneficial with this type of setting, I believe, allowing voice and music to coincide more seamlessly. Have you reviewed Alatius's recordings? They very articulately lay out the length patterns. And also, there's always VIVA VOCE:

http://web.archive.org/web/200705282324 ... edeljk/VV/

In your recording, my interpretation is that the speech patterns of English (length following stress, that is) are still affecting your Latin somewhat. I believe careful study of the above would successfully alter your state Latinly into a fluid, strictly quantitative oration. Bene facis, plurimasque incisiones facias! :)
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Estoniacus Inoriginale »

Excellent recordings pulled out from some kind of way back machine type of thing. Gratias, Luci! This polish guy in these recordings uses nice palatalizaztions...
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4 ... age&fmt=18

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Yes he does. I think he's Serbian, actually. He kind of fell off the face of the Earth a few years back. This site of his is webarchived since the original is gone.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS