latin translations

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
lachlan
Textkit Neophyte

latin translations

Post by lachlan »

i was wondering if anyone could let me know if im right and if not whats wrong with my tanslation

- Amor patriae in vicitate nostra semper valebit
love of our fatherland in citizenship will always be strong ???

-malus tyrannus novum regem necare non poterat, propter virtutem pulchrae uxoris, reginae

the evil tyrannt was not able to kill the new king, because of the courage of his beautiful wife, the Queen??

- Tha ancient Greeks used to praise teh goddess in beautiful literature
antiquae Graecae deam in pulchram litterarum laudabant ??

thx in advance

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: latin translations

Post by benissimus »

lachlan wrote:- Amor patriae in vicitate nostra semper valebit
love of our fatherland in citizenship will always be strong ???
you mean civitate? if by "citizenship" you mean "body of citizens" (= the state) then yes
-malus tyrannus novum regem necare non poterat, propter virtutem pulchrae uxoris, reginae

the evil tyrannt was not able to kill the new king, because of the courage of his beautiful wife, the Queen??
correct
- Tha ancient Greeks used to praise teh goddess in beautiful literature
antiquae Graecae deam in pulchram litterarum laudabant ??
in takes the dative (except when it means "into"): in pulchris litteris

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salvete lachlan benissimeque

Also perhaps "in vicitate nostra" = "in vicinitate nostra". What do you think? But probably as you say, benissimus.
Pro "in vicitate nostra", legete "in vicinitate nostra" = "in our area" vel "in our part of the world" vel "in our neighbourhood". Quid censetis? At probabiliùs, benissime, ut dicis.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

adrianus wrote:Salvete lachlan benissimeque

Also perhaps "in vicitate nostra" = "in vicinitate nostra". What do you think? But probably as you say, benissimus.
Pro "in vicitate nostra", legete "in vicinitate nostra" = "in our area" vel "in our part of the world" vel "in our neighbourhood". Quid censetis? At probabiliùs, benissime, ut dicis.
hoc et mihi uidebatur, priusquam "citizenship" aspicerem. manendum est, sperantibus certiores fore ut fiamus.

lachlan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lachlan »

thx so much for your help guys. I can never seem to get them entirely right on my own ..

also thx a lot for telling me that in always takes the dative except when it means into...
but i still had a question if it took teh dative since its not plural shouldnt it be pulchrae litterae? the -is I thought signified plurality?

also I just realized what I had was greek women ... no?
I think I should have had antiqus Graecus ??

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

benissimus wrote:hoc et mihi uidebatur, priusquam "citizenship" aspicerem.
You thought it through better than I, benissimus. I wrote the first thing that occurred to me.
Quod primum succurrit, scripsi. Tu, benissime, rem astrictiùs consideravisti quàm ego.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

lachlan wrote:thx so much for your help guys. I can never seem to get them entirely right on my own ..

also thx a lot for telling me that in always takes the dative except when it means into...
but i still had a question if it took teh dative since its not plural shouldnt it be pulchrae litterae? the -is I thought signified plurality?

also I just realized what I had was greek women ... no?
I think I should have had antiqus Graecus ??
I think benissimus slipped in there. It should be the ablative, not the dative, though what concerns this example they'd be the same, in pulchris litteris.

What you had was indeed "Greek women". If you want it to be more general, you'll have to change what you had from feminine into masculine. You had nominative plural feminine (antiquæ græcæ), and now you want the nominative plural masculine (antiqu* græc*)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

re: dative
sorry about that, too much Greek for me lately.