Textkit Logo

North & Hillard - Preliminary Exercises

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

North & Hillard - Preliminary Exercises

Postby convector » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I finished D'Ooge and have been looking at Latin Composition by North & Hillard. An answer key is provided, but the book begins with some preliminary exercises and these are not translated in the answer key.

Exercise B is about commands. Some of these are simple Imperatives, but how do I translate a sentance like;

Let us go, and let them remain here. Do I use the subjunctive?
Eamus, et maneant huc.

Also, how do I translate a negative Imperative like;
Do not give him a sword, but give him arrows. Do I use non or ne?
Non da ei gladium, sed sagittas. or Ne da ei gladium, sed sagittas.

Thanks for your help.
convector
Textkit Neophyte

Postby MiguelM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah, the subjunctive would be a good solution for the first problem. Note, however, that you should use hic instead of huc, as huc expresses place towards "to here", whereas hic is more "in here".

There are several ways to express negative imperatives, but "non+imp" isn't one of them as far as I remember. The most common is to use noli/nolite+inf (the verb nolo literally means "I do not want", and is kin to volo et malo), "Noli dare gladium".

Alternatively you could use other expressions, such as ne+conjunctive perfect, "Ne dediris" or cave+subjunctive present (from caveo, beware), "Cave des". Those are the alternative ones I remember. The most common is definitely Noli+inf, though, and is the one you'll find most often.

I hope I was of help.
MiguelM
Textkit Fan

Postby convector » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 am

Yes indeed. These are both good solutions. Thanks.
convector
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin