Textkit Logo

grammar query

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

grammar query

Postby Koala » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:59 am

[face=SPIonic] )0W (Ellhnistai sofwteroi<br />[/face]<br /><br />Just a note to say that I commend you on this enjoyable site; it has spurred me on to learn ‘a little Greek’ – and am using with some profit the first Greek book by J J White. Could I ask a couple of questions arising?<br /><br />On page 86, para 342, Q 1 there is<br />[face=SPIonic]e9pesqai<br />[/face]<br />now, is this the aorist infin of e9pomai and if so, why/how?<br /><br />Secondly, if I might ask you (in my best optative), what might a good translation be of para 375, page 96, Q 9, that goes:<br />[face=SPIonic] kai sun au0toij men a0n timioj, au0twn de ei0 e0rhmoj ei0hn, ou0k a0n i9kanoj ei0hn touj filouj w0felein.<br />[/face]<br /><br />With thanks and [face=SPIonic] xaire<br />[/face] :)<br />
phpbb
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Re:grammar query

Postby annis » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:59 pm

[quote author=Koala link=board=2;threadid=144;start=0#693 date=1054702788]<br />[face=SPIonic] )0W (Ellhnistai sofwteroi<br />[/face]<br />Just a note to say that I commend you on this enjoyable site; it has spurred me on to learn ‘a little Greek’ – and am using with some profit the first Greek book by J J White.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Welcome to the wonderful world of Greek.<br /><br />
Could I ask a couple of questions arising?<br /><br />On page 86, para 342, Q 1 there is<br />[face=SPIonic]e9pesqai<br />[/face]<br />now, is this the aorist infin of e9pomai and if so, why/how?<br />
<br /><br />(Oops... for some reason I misparsed this question the first time around.)<br /><br />I'm not sure I understand the how and why question. This is a present infinitive. Why do you ask if it is aorist? For the aorist, I'd expect something like e(/spesqai, but it turns out the aorist infinitive is spe/sqai.<br /><br />
<br />Secondly, if I might ask you (in my best optative), what might a good translation be of para 375, page 96, Q 9, that goes:<br />[face=SPIonic] kai sun au0toij men ei)/hn a0n timioj, au0twn de ei0 e0rhmoj ei0hn, ou0k a0n i9kanoj ei0hn touj filouj w0felein.<br />[/face]<br />
<br /><br />Strange-o Xenophon again, I assume.<br /><br />"And with them I would be valued, but if I were deprived of them I would not be able to help my (tou/j) friends."<br /><br />Does this make sense?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:grammar query

Postby Koala » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:59 pm

thanks ...<br /><br />I don't know why I thought it might be an aorist<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />[face=SPIonic] ei0 gar genoimhn sofoj [/face]
phpbb
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek