Dictionary Discrepancies

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Eurysilas
Textkit Neophyte

Dictionary Discrepancies

Post by Eurysilas »

I was diving back into Latin again after falling off the wagon (I have little self-discipline), and I noticed a strange translation in the chapter one readings of Wheelock's Latin (6th edition). Wheelock's gives the initial definition of Moneo to be "to remind/advise/warn". However, in the reading "Horace Contemplates an Invitation", they've translated it as "to admonish". Now, I have looked this up in Cassell's- according to it this is indeed a valid translation of Moneo, however, where it should be "remind/advise/warn" it is "remind/admonish/warn". So, does moneo also translate as "to advise"?

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Yes. I guess the meaning behind "moneo" can be summarised as "fix someone's attention at something". Latin words not infrequently have comparably broad definitions, I think.

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

There is always overlap. You mustn't get pinned down by the particular English word one source or the other uses to define the Latin.

Eurysilas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Eurysilas »

OK. I'll keep that in mind...Thank you.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

understand that words have spheres of meaning, and two words from different languages will usually not have the exact same sphere... so they usually give many meanings to give you an idea of the range of meaning. Latin is not a code to write English in, it is a language in it's own right and it can have one word that expresses two related concepts that in English we use separate words for. Let it be flexible, don't try to box it in.