NEW and NOVICE are related to the Greek νέος (neos)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Neos
Textkit Neophyte

NEW and NOVICE are related to the Greek νέος (neos)

Post by Neos »

The words new and novice derive from the latin novus (new), which in turn is related to the greek adj νέος (new; neos). The word neo- (new; neo) is also used as a prefix in many words such as neolithic, neologism, neophyte, neoplasm, neoplatonism etc.

From the same root: news, novelty, novel, novelist, nova, neon

In Greek.
α) νέος: new, young, modern [neos]
β) νεότητα: youth, early years [neotita]
γ) νεόφυτος: newly baptized, novice, neophyte [neophytos]
δ) νέα: news [nea]

More: http://ewonago.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-novice.html

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

Like your name I suppose.

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

Exactly!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

you remind me of the guy from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"... every word comes from Greek! lol

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

Thank you so much!

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Neos,

I just wanted to point out that you are mistaken about the English word <i>new</i> being derived from Latin novus. Of course it is <i>related</i>, but it does not <i>derive</i> from Latin novus, or from Greek neos, anymore than <i>one</i> derives from Latin unus. These words are simply cognates. Neither "derives" from the other. I like your etymologies. But I think you need to be more careful about such things.<pre> </pre>

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Essorant wrote:Neos,

I just wanted to point out that you are mistaken about the English word <i>new</i> being derived from Latin novus. Of course it is <i>related</i>, but it does not <i>derive</i> from Latin novus, or from Greek neos, anymore than <i>one</i> derives from Latin unus. These words are simply cognates. Neither "derives" from the other. I like your etymologies. But I think you need to be more careful about such things.<pre> </pre>
True point. A derivative is a word that comes out of the other language, a cognate is a word that descends from the same ancient word as the other... so new derives from the same ancient word that Latin novus and Greek neos do.