Spoken Latin

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Spoken Latin

Post by Elucubrator »

This poll taken just as I saw it from the "ctnlatin" discussion group on Yahoo. It's a Latin list for those interested in learning the language, with special emphasis on the language of the Catholic church.<br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Spoken Latin

Post by Milito »

In fact, I found a book called "conversational Latin", which seems to have just this sort of aim in mind, as it presents correct Latin phrases to use in everyday situations......<br /><br />Milito

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Conversational Latin for oral proficiency

Post by Elucubrator »

Is this Traupman's book? Or is there something else out there. I got myself a copy of Traupman's book, which is a list of phrases and vocabulary arranged under different subject headings. I don't necessarily think it's the best method there is, but as far as I know there is no other book out there really. Does anything know of any good supplements to Traupman?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

I do have Traupman's book, but the one I was thinking of actually turns out to be called "Latin Can Be Fun" by Georg Capellanus (ISBN 1-56619-001-3), which, as you might suspect by the title, doesn't take itself completely seriously. It does, however, apply Latin to some things that Classical Romans weren't likely to have encountered - like Winter Olympics and "the Conquest of the Air". I've also found a couple other books which are more fun than anything else.<br /><br />Milito

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think I would rather like that :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Latin IS a spoken language.<br /><br />So I'm not sure how to vote ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Weeelll...speaking Latin as you might any other living language might be fun...but then again...if we spoke it regularly, I'd have to learn how to pronounce it properly! ;) ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Perhaps we can persuade Beniss to write up a Tutorial on pronunciation, complete with sound files! <br /><br />I have no idea whether I am pronouncing Latin correctly. Not too many people out there who can correct me if I'm wrong.<br /><br />I mentioned Beniss' phallovitrobolus word to a colleague who get quite a kick out of such a word and then asked me how it was pronounced. My response was, "Um... uh... I'm not sure, but I think it's ...."<br /><br />Now here's a question. If we all got together and tried speaking Latin to each other, would we all pronounce the words the same? And would we it be similar enough so that we can actually understand each other?<br /><br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=71;start=0#6902 date=1064542859]<br /><br />Perhaps we can persuade Beniss to write up a Tutorial on pronunciation, complete with sound files! <br /><br /><br />Now there's a good idea! <br /><br />I have no idea whether I am pronouncing Latin correctly. Not too many people out there who can correct me if I'm wrong.<br /><br /><br />One of the nice things about learning Latin. ;)<br /><br />Now here's a question. If we all got together and tried speaking Latin to each other, would we all pronounce the words the same? And would we it be similar enough so that we can actually understand each other?<br /><br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Somehow, I doubt it. We don't even pronounce English words the same...there are several posts on this somewhere in the Greek forum. ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=71;start=0#6905 date=1064543153]<br />Somehow, I doubt it. We don't even pronounce English words the same...there are several posts on this somewhere in the Greek forum. ;D<br />[/quote]<br />I hardly ever make it into the Greek Forum. I have enough on my plate with just Latin. I don't know how some of you learn Latin and Greek simultaneously (or five languages at once).<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

we could learn to merge our accents into something koine.<br /><br />but I think to be really effective it would be best to have at least one person with whom you could converse in real life on a regular basis. I'm still looking for such a person where I live :P
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=71;start=0#6911 date=1064548583]<br />but I think to be really effective it would be best to have at least one person with whom you could converse in real life on a regular basis. I'm still looking for such a person where I live :P [/quote]<br /><br />Of course this would only work well if the other person speaks Latin correctly. What happens if you unknowningly hook up with someone who speaks Latin poorly or completely wrong? That's not very efficacious to improving your own pronunciation.<br /><br />I think they have Latin tapes for sale (like they do for learning French, Spanish, etc). Do you know whether they are good examples of spoken Latin?<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've only actually listened to one set of those kinds of tapes... and they weren't very good. They just did common things like legal terms and a few words and phrases. <br /><br />It might be nice to try out a different one...<br /><br />Of course I wouldn't think that one should learn *exclusively* by speaking with another person, since as you say that person could be wrong. But if you combined that practice with your regular studies plus things like the Agora and Nuntii Latini, you'd learn a lot.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

But how do you define 'correctly spoken' Latin? You can hardly even define correctly spoken English, unless you give yourself some sort of limit (region, time period, etc).<br /><br />And there's a factor I haven't seen come up yet: time period. Shakespeare's English wasn't pronounced like modern English, not even by inhabitants of the same locale today. If Latin became a modern spoken language, who's to say it would necessarily be pronounced like ancient Latin?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

If Latin ever did become a regularly spoken language, I imagine it would develop a pronounciation all its own, the way English has-and that pronounciation would vary from region to region.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

It would probably be like Latin in the middle ages, where monks spoke Latin to each other, if they were from different countries. I think it would corrupt the language and anyway I don't like Latin much... :P<br />So, who can guess who casted the one vote against Latin as a spoken language? ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Between a few intelligent people yes it would be immense. <br /><br />Then again I've always fantasized about being the Pope and making an international Vatican City Football team. We win the world cup and all the people in the world who speak latin come and cheer us on in their language.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Might it not be better to buy some land in the countryside, make yourself dictator of it and make Latin the official language... that would be an easier and much quicker way to get your Latin foot ball team. All you need then is a lot of money to buy in Latin speaking players from around the world that are good enough to win the world cup.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Our bishop could start recruiting those famous brazillian futbol stars. At least they are from "latin"-america, let alone good at futbol.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well If I be the Pope I will have much power. Enough, thereof, to perhaps recruit some great catholic players, teach them Latin and make a team. <br /><br />Emma, can I actually do that?<br />How much is land nowadays? ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I'm sure you can - just not in Europe maybe. And you'd need a lot of money and maybe a military... ;)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

you can do it if you choose a spot that no one else has claimed. Since every bit of land on earth (practically) is claimed, that relegates most people of your ambitions to the ocean... if you can find a tiny unclaimed island somewhere.... however, there is one family off the coast of england (?) who took over an abandoned man-made island... it was from the war or something, some little naval base, and is now called Sealand, I believe. They have their own currency and everything (for the handful of people who live there...). Bizarre.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Somalia is pretty much up for the grabs. Just find yourself a nice piece of desert no one is interested in at all....

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

If there are problems in Iraq then I don't know what to call what Somalia has :'(<br /><br />My land would be peaceful. Nullis egemus militibus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

"We will lack no military"<br />So you will have an army, eh?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=71;start=15#7078 date=1064674021]<br />Somalia is pretty much up for the grabs. Just find yourself a nice piece of desert no one is interested in at all....<br />[/quote]<br /><br />And yet, oddly enough, some of the fiercest fighting is over these same pieces of desert. <br /><br />If you go anywhere in the Middle East, Episcopus, you'll need an army...and maybe a wall. ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well if you ever do grab your bit of land there (though Somalia is in Africa next to Ethiopia, not in the middle east) tell me and I'll come and live there - not joking!<br />(You may want to learn some Geography tonight, Keesa ;) )

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I was replying to the bit about the desert, not about Somalia. I think the Middle East is close to being the most violent bit of desert, but a lot of Africa comes close. <br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=71;start=15#7085 date=1064683522]<br />"We will lack no military"<br />So you will have an army, eh?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I meant to say "we need no military..." and egeo is 2nd conj ;)<br /><br />Damn strange verb that...to lack to need to be in want.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Not such a foreign concept since the original sense of the word "want" is to be in need, as in "this book leaves something to be wanted".

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yeah...that's why I thought what I said initially to be right ???