Verify translations 9

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Verify translations 9

Post by Boban »

1) Omnes dei praeter Discordiam, pessimam dearum, in nuptiis Pelei et Thetidis, Achillis parentum, cenaverant, cum subito dea irata inter deas maximas malum aureum cum titulo "pulcherrimae deae" iecit.
All gods except Discordia, worst goddess, on wedding of Peleus and Thetis, Achillis parents, were dining, when suddenly angry goddess among highest goddesses throwed golden apple with title "pretiest goddesses".

2) Is indicative present active of verb "facio" facimus or faciemus?

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

Close, but not quite.

not "worst goddess," but "worst of goddesses

not "were dining" but "had dined; tense is pluperfect.

not "prettiest goddesses" but "to the most beautiful goddess"; case is dative singular not nominative pl.

Indicative first person plural of "facio" is "facimus"; "faciemus is future indicative.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Hi. Though this might be a needless throw, maybe even a wrong opinion, but

I wonder if "Achillis parentum" is "of Achilles' parents".

And,
malum aureum cum titulo "pulcherrimae deae"
I thought this "pulcherrimae deae" can be genitive conveying almost the same nuance as when it is taken dative.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

In the context of the myth, the dative works much better. The entire conflict revolves around "to whom" the apple should be given. The Genitive never conveys a sense of personal interest or advantage as the dative does.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

:oops: Thank you. So I see now that "whose apple is it"(genitive) is not relevant translation considering the whole text, though it looks similar to "to whom the apple belongs"(dative).