Who is "the Textkit Team"?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Who is "the Textkit Team"?

Post by benissimus »

I've seen that term used quite a few times while navigating Textkit, and I finally have to ask. Who makes up the Textkit team. Is it just Jeff and his high school helper or are there secret people behind the scenes? Is this some sort of alliance of super-powered Classicists? Just a thought...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Who is "the Textkit Team"?

Post by Keesa »

Jeff, his high school helper, the moderators, the CIA, the FBI, the American Society for the Preservation of Antiquities, Amazon.com and the IAPAL. (International Association for the Preservation of Antique Languages, a one-member society for the ressurection of Latin as a living language, headed and chaired by Episcopus.) <br /><br />Hehe. Just kidding, of course. I don't know.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh my goodness...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Have you seen Lex's signature? <br /><br />"Textkit.com directed by 40 SPECIALLY TRAINED ECUADORIAN MOUNTAIN LLAMAS, 6 VENEZUELAN RED LLAMAS, 142 MEXICAN WHOOPING LLAMAS, 14 NORTH CHILEAN GUANACOS (CLOSELY RELATED TO THE LLAMA), REG LLAMA OF BRIXTON, AND 76000 BATTERY LLAMAS FROM LLAMA-FRESH FARMS LTD. NEAR PARAGUAY " <br /><br />End quote. ;D

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Some people have been playing too many Maxis games...

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Jeff, his high-school helper, the moderators...<br /><br />If there are others I know not of them, and yet I'm one of *the team*!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I try to keep a low profile around here ;)<br /><br />I'll save you the suspense:<br /><br />The Textkit Team:<br />me, a few local high school students, mods, my wife who puts up with me always buying books, paper, toner..., visitors who mail me books and a couple attorneys who constantly remind me of things I can't do.<br /><br />That's about it. Textkit is not developed by professional educators. We're all volunteers who happen to like Greek, Latin and yes, llamas!<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Fascinating! So where do the dromedaries fit in to this whole scheme?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

They're sort of like llamas...they may even be related to llamas, although I don't know. <br /><br />Lex-you forgot alpacas! :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=686;start=0#6614 date=1064357572]<br />They're sort of like llamas...they may even be related to llamas, although I don't know. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Who are? The Textkit Team?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

No!!! :-\ The dromedaries. :P

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=686;start=0#6578 date=1064341997]<br />I try to keep a low profile around here ;)<br /><br />I'll save you the suspense:<br /><br />The Textkit Team:<br />me, a few local high school students, mods, my wife who puts up with me always buying books, paper, toner..., visitors who mail me books and a couple attorneys who constantly remind me of things I can't do.<br /><br />That's about it. Textkit is not developed by professional educators. We're all volunteers who happen to like Greek, Latin and yes, llamas!<br /><br />jeff<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I am impressed by the dedication of these volunteers.<br />Thanks Jeff (pass this on to your fellow volunteers)<br />Bert

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

much appreciated!<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

My thanks, too! :-*

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

My thanks as well! I only wish you were closer to me so I could swing by and help you out.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Also thanks from me! I'd never really thought that people had to work to make all this happen - it's great that you (the team) have created this fantastic site. :D

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

While Jeff probably considers the scanned books the biggest effort, for me this very forum will be the most enduring benefit of textkit.<br /><br />Most of us here have set ourselves to the difficult path of teaching ourselves languages unforgiving of carelessness and requiring a lot of time devoted to their study. Seeing the enthusiasm, and even the errors, of beginners is a reminder to me of how far I've come and why I started to study Greek in the first place. Seeing others clearly beyond my skill keeps me motivated on those days when I don't think I can bear to thumb through L&S or Smyth even one more time.<br /><br />So, hats off to Jeff!
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Yes, the forum is Textkit's real treasure. The PDF books are great but the Forum is equally unique.<br /><br />If you can't tell we are slowly shifting gears with this project to introduce other types of online content in addition to book downloads. I'm hopeful that in time the tutorials project will also be appreciated.<br /><br />I have tons of other ideas too - but so, so little time :'(<br />paradigm archive, reading kits, tutorial engine, visitor generated translation archive for checking work.
Textkit Founder

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Jeff:<br />I have tons of other ideas too - but so, so little time <br />paradigm archive, reading kits, tutorial engine, visitor generated translation archive for checking work<br /><br /><br />Oh Jeff..... ;D I do hope these wonderful ideas come to fruition. Considering how slow Latin is coming to me I think I could probably wait a couple years. But I do not want to, oh I definately do not! :)

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=686;start=0#6554 date=1064325246]<br />Some people have been playing too many Maxis games...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />No, watching too many Monty Python movies. <br /><br />But, hey, it could be much worse. We could all be moose. Mooses? Meese?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Moosae?

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

The correct answer is....<br /><br />...moose!<br /><br />'Moosae' would get second place by me, except that it sounds too much like 'moussai' (= muses, nominative). Somehow I wouldn't want to confuse those 9 lovely ladies with moose! ;D<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I haven't gotten to the e declension yet (isn't it the fifth?) so I don't know how "moose" would decline in Latin; I had to change it to "moosa" before I could decline it. :-\ (Moosa, anyone?)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Moussai is Greek, silly Keesa :P

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

My post was Latin.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh wait... so Muses, Musei? What do Muses have to do with mooses anyways?<br /><br />I'm confused as always. ::) ???

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

And hiding it under inimitable elegance of expression? ;)<br /><br />If moose was spelled moosa instead of moose, it would be in the A-declension, I could decline it, and the plural would be moosae. <br /><br />But Raya said that "moosae" was pronounced too much like "moussai" (Greek), and she wouldn't want to get the muses mixed up with meeses. <br /><br />So I replied that I had had to decline it moosae, since I couldn't decline "moose" yet. (If "moose" was Latin, what would the plural be, someone? I'm not in the e-declension yet.) <br /><br />And that is apparently where we were when you got lost. <br /><br /> ;D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I was confused to learn that the word "moose" was not in any Latin dictionary that I have access to. I looked up the word moose and apparently they are mainly found in the Americas, so I guess that explains it.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

If moose was a Latin word, how would the plural be formed?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The word "moose" could not be a Latin nominative unless it were some kind of third declension. I'm sure there is a Neo-Latin word though.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=686;start=15#6878 date=1064528915]<br />I was confused to learn that the word "moose" was not in any Latin dictionary that I have access to. I looked up the word moose and apparently they are mainly found in the Americas, so I guess that explains it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Are you telling me you didn't know what a moose was until today??? Even here we learn about major foreign animals in school ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I knew what a moose was, but I didn't know that they weren't found in Europe. :P

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oh, that's a relief. I nearly died of shock there :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

We can do this in three ways: A & G gives a paradigm for 3rd dec. neuter nouns ending in -e (sec. 69) with sedile -is as the example, so assuming moose -is, the plural would be moosia.<br /><br />If, however, we go by pronunciation rather than by spelling, Eng. moose is pretty similar to Latin mus muris, so we'd end up with moores.<br /><br />Or we can use the biological name alces alces, making the plural alces alces as well. So the plural (in the nominative at least) is the same as the singular in Latin as well as in English

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

There you go, Lex-we could all be alces alces, instead of llamas. :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

The forum is great but is addictive and thus time consuming. <br /><br />The great achievement is all these wonderful books that I certainly would never have found. Textkit in one way or another may have shaped my life.<br /><br />And bishop-triangular-hats off to the person who said "moose, moosis" (n). I would have said thus also.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You do realize how annoying a double-o is to pronounce in Latin? The only word I can even think of is the name Laocoon, and that's just because it's crazy Greek. ::)