Lingua Latina and what else?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ellisje
Textkit Neophyte

Lingua Latina and what else?

Post by ellisje »

I have been teaching my kids from Lingua Latina (slowly) and I am enjoying it immensely, so much so that I would also like to go off on my own course of Latin study. I have the College Companion and the exercises for LL. Is there anything I might be missing by not having a traditional grammar?

I have studied Greek and Chinese fairly intensively and so far LL is enjoyable but only mildly challenging. I am looking for challenging suggestions/recommendations.

Thank you.

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

Lingua Latina on its own teaches you grammar comprehensively and quickly (notice you are getting fairly traditional-style grammar explanations in the 'GRAMMATICA' sections, just under Latin names instead of English ones). If Lingua Latina is not a challenge for you, then that is good! It sounds like you are on the right track, and judging by what you said about your language-learning experience, I would suggest you challenge yourself to master the material in Lingua Latina and also as much reading from other sources as you can. You don't strictly speaking need supplementary materials; but of course every additional way you expose yourself to the language will benefit you. And if you are the type of person (like me) who enjoys flipping through grammar books, then by all means pick one up!

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: Lingua Latina and what else?

Post by cantator »

ellisje wrote:... so far LL is enjoyable but only mildly challenging. I am looking for challenging suggestions/recommendations.
Hornsby's "Reading Latin Poetry", followed by Pharr's edition of the first six books of the Aeneid.

If that isn't challenging enough you can read through Migne's Patrologia. :)
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Re: Lingua Latina and what else?

Post by cdm2003 »

cantator wrote: If that isn't challenging enough you can read through Migne's Patrologia. :)
That shouldn't take long... :lol:
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae