Translation of "fortitudo iuvenum"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Translation of "fortitudo iuvenum"

Post by Boban »

Can someone translate me "fortitudo iuvenum"?

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

The strenght of the young people.

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

The courage of the young people.

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

Gonzalo wrote:The strenght of the young people.
You have translated "iuvenum" as young people.
I guess that "iuvenum" is genitive plural of "iuvenis, is, m." but that would mean that it must be "iuvenium".
That's why I asked, because I am not sure that "iuvenum" (as in book) is type error. It should be "iuvenium" I think.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

As a noun, it is iuvenum for genitive plural. As an adjective, it is iuvenium.

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

Gonzalo wrote:As a noun, it is iuvenum for genitive plural. As an adjective, it is iuvenium.
But if you reffering to noun "iuvenis, is, m." then genitive plural is "iuvenium" because iuvenis, is, m. is parisyllaba with genitive -is, so belongs to III-i declination.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi,
I have learnt it by usage and not by grammar rules but I found anyway in my Latin lexicon what I have referred to and, besides, I have found the next reference -I have just written "iuvenis" at Google:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/iuvenis Take a look.

Regards,
Gonzalo

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

Gonzalo wrote:Hi,
I have learnt it by usage and not by grammar rules but I found anyway in my Latin lexicon what I have referred to and, besides, I have found the next reference -I have just written "iuvenis" at Google:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/iuvenis Take a look.

Regards,
Gonzalo
Hm, I am puzzled, I expected that "iuvenis, is, m." belongs to III-i declension but on that site stands that it belongs to consonant base not vocal -i base.
Maybe someone can also verify this.
Rules for III-i declension is that noun is parisyllaba with singular nominative ending -is and singular genitive ending -is.
This is first noun I see that it's not regular to this.
Difference betwen III declension and III-i declension is only in genitive plural ending.
Last edited by Boban on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Boban wrote:But if you reffering to noun "iuvenis, is, m." then genitive plural is "iuvenium" because iuvenis, is, m. is parisyllaba with genitive -is, so belongs to III-i declination.
The word "juvenis" is an exception to this rule, as is "canis".

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

Boban wrote:Difference betwen III declension and III-i declension is only in genitive plural ending.
No, there are other differences: full i-stems have m/f plural nom-acc in Ä«s, singular acc in im, and singular abl in Ä«. Full i-stems with these endings are rare, but even mixed i-stems have neuter plural nom-acc in ia and often singular abl Ä«. Canis and iuvenis are two among a few nouns that look like they should be i-stems but are not (they also have singular abl in e, not Ä«). Check a grammar for more comprehensive listings.