Seeking two new words [Solved]

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
tristevoix
Textkit Neophyte

Seeking two new words [Solved]

Post by tristevoix »

Hello,

How's you all? =)

Never been here before, but I'm hoping I can find the assistance I need. Thanks for whatever help you can give me or for redirecting me as appropriate. Or for letting me know if I'm messing up your forum with inappropriate requests (not my intent).

So, unless I'm mistaken homicide and suicide are both made from latin words/stems or something. Homi, sui and -cide. One is kill people and the other is kill self.

What I need is two words that would describe the same concept (vs others and vs self) but regarding making someone else/oneself "go crazy" or "lose its sanity".

In the end, these two new words would fit well in a sentence such as: causes of insanity can be natural, accidental, *homicidal*, *suicidal*, or undetermined.

The whole thing's for an homemade RPG, but I'd just like to be able to use words that make some sort of sense.

Thanks very many much!

Cheers! ^_^
Last edited by tristevoix on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

The term "egogenic" was once proposed to describe medical illnesses that were caused by the patient, but the term never really caught on. (Ego is the latin for word "I"). I'm not sure what would be the best term for caused by someone else, though. Maybe "aliogenic" or something based upon alius, which can mean someone else, or another.

Maybe "someone else" will chime in with some better ideas.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salvete edonnelly tristevoixque,
English "induced" (< Latin "inducere") & "self-induced"

tristevoix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tristevoix »

Hi,

Yeah, I though about induce, but then I could say old age induces senility (natural) and a dramatic event induces a phobia (accidental). So, if the alienist was to complete his report and write "induced" next to "Cause of insanity", the investigator could ask "By what, sir?" Unless I misunderstand the word, of course.

But with words like "aliogeny/aliogenic death", the investigator would know right away he's got to look for a criminal.

Thanks for your help, people, much appreciated. ^_^

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve tristevoix

Well, both "induced" and eDonnelly's invented "aliogenic" (which is lovely) are synonyms, for "caused by an outside agent", or "having an irreflexive cause". It's open as to whether the causal agent is a person, place or thing. —Unless eDonnelly says otherwise about his word and everyone agrees, of course.

Immò, anglicè "induced" atque "aliogenic" (quod eDonnelly invenit et bellum est) synonyma sunt, pro "alio affectus -a -um" vel "irreflexâ causâ". Quaestio conferenda est, utrum vel homo vel locus vel res sit actor qui facit. —Nisi aliter de verbo suo dicabit eDonnelly et omnes de re inter se convenient, certé.

tristevoix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tristevoix »

Uh, oops?

Guess that shows the extent of my knowledge of both Latin and English languages!
Me mind stuck on alius = someone else or another as in another person and not another anything.

In that case, is there a word that would strictly refer to "another person"?

Thanks! ^_^

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

If you don't want to invent a word, there's inflicted (Latin infligere) and self-inflicted, and (weaker) provoked (Latin provocare) and self-invoked (Latin invocare), but you can always stretch such a word's sense to involve a non-human agent doing the inflicting and provoking/invoking, so you're not much further away from induced and made-up "aliogenic". So if you just want an invented word you have eDonnelly's nice "aliogenic" and maybe you could make "egogenic" catch on ("suigenic" would not be right btw) and you can insist that "aliogenic" only refers to people causing the problem. Why not!

PS Surely, btw, you've already made the distinction in your categorisation scheme that "natural" is everything not caused by people and "accidental" and "self-inflicted" are not so suspicious, and so, by implication, your remaining category is grounds for suspicion of human agency, whatever you call it.

tristevoix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tristevoix »

Yeah, I'll do just that and use eDonnelly's words.

Thanks again for all your help and support.

Have a great time! ^_^

Diaphanus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Seeking two new words [Solved]

Post by Diaphanus »

tristevoix wrote:So, unless I'm mistaken homicide and suicide are both made from latin words/stems or something. Homi, sui and -cide. One is kill people and the other is kill self.
Right:
  • Homicide in Latin is the compound homicidium, where homi- is a shortened version of homini-, combining form of homo, "human," and -cidium comes from cid, a variant of caede-, the stem of caedere, "to kill," and the abstract noun suffix -ium.
  • Suicide in Neo-Latin is the syntactic (or "pseudo-") compound suicidium, where the sui is not a normal combining form, but the word sui, "of oneself."
tristevoix wrote:What I need is two words that would describe the same concept (vs others and vs self) but regarding making someone else/oneself "go crazy" or "lose its sanity".
If you want to use homicidium and suicidium as patterns, then I recommend:
  • suidementatio (sui + dementare + -tio)/suidementation, self-inflicted craziness
  • alidementatio (alius + dementare + -tio)/alidementation, craziness inflicted by others
Alius in compounds regularly takes the combining form ali- (e.g. aliquis, aliquando); the adverb or case form alio- is used in certain syntactic situations.

If you want to coin new words for "-inflicted," I think that -genus would be good for Latin words and -genic would be good for English words: suigenus/suigenic, aligenus/aligenic.

Ali-gen- is more in line with Classical "rules" than alio-gen-.
Salve! Verbifex sum quia creatio verborum latinorum novorum mihi placet!
MEMA INTERRETIALIA