Textkit Logo

Lingua Latina College Companion Book

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Lingua Latina College Companion Book

Postby MarcusE » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:59 pm

I was curious if anyone is using the college companion book for the Lingua Latina Pars I. Is it worth the $25? Any comments?

I'm enjoying Lingua Latina but some straight forward grammar discussion in English would be nice without having to rummage on other grammars for the point I'm looking for.

Also, why isn't there a forum dedicated to Orberg's series as there is for Wheelock? It seems popular enought to justify it.
MarcusE
Textkit Neophyte

Postby LisaNYork » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:41 pm

The College Companion offers full explanations of the grammar for each Capitulum in *English*. It also offers the vocabulary lists with English for each Capitulum.

I think it is definitely worth the $

If you go to Focus Publishing, you can view samples of it.
phpbb
LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Postby MarcusE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks
MarcusE
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lingua Latina College Companion Book

Postby Alex Sheremet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 pm

If you've started Latin on your own, and currently have no outside help, but are progressing through Lingua Latina solo, it's worth it. If you already have grammars, etc., or have/are taking classes, then perhaps not. But, the vocabulary is a nice addition.. you don't need to spend time making vocabulary lists for each chapter.
Alex Sheremet
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Bretonus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:44 am

Has anyone here used Pars II Roma Aeterna Instructions? If so, how was it?
Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Koehnsen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:02 am

Amazon has it too, with a few preview pages. I sent away for it...it looks quiet useful.
Koehnsen
Textkit Neophyte

Postby MarcusE » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:23 pm

I've got a copy of Wheelocks and the English Latin vocab list for LL so it might be redundant to get another book. This is my second time through LL, the first time was some years ago and I remember that some extra grammar explanation will be useful especially in later chapters.
MarcusE
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin