Textkit Logo

Arabic resources

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Arabic resources

Postby quendidil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:51 am

Can anyone here recommend any resources for Arabic that you've found useful? Preferably free, or at least affordable on a student's budget.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Postby Twpsyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:10 am

I don't know of any good resources on the internet. If you go to a used bookstore (or Amazon) you may be able to find good textbooks on the cheap; for my language study I always use several texts in conjunction, and I have found the best Arabic textbooks to be Al Kitaab (more inductive) and Elementary Modern Standard Arabic (very dry and grammar-heavy, but rich). Teach Yourself is, suprisingly, not all that bad, but I would only use it as a supplement. You might also look at the Hippocrene 'Beginner' series, which generally puts out good titles, and the Colloquial book; neither of which have I used myself, as a disclaimer. Unfortunately, textbooks are expensive, but they are a one-time investment that will last you a long time (all of the above are for MSA; finding good cheap dialect resources would be even cheaper). Past the intermediate level, of course, your best bet is a course or a native speaker friend (cheapest resource of all!). Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help you (not being at an advanced level yet myself).
Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Postby quendidil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:40 am

Thanks!

Oh, yes, and I forgot to mention that I'm primarily interested in Classical Arabic or MSA, not the dialects. I'll give Al-Kitaab a look.

I learnt the script a few weeks ago from "Very Simple Arabic Script", although I'm currently still unsure on the pronunciation of the emphatics. 'Ayin, Ghayin were fairly simple to reproduce after a bit of listening to minimal pairs with the help of audio files on wikipedia but they don't have those for the emphatic consonants.

Are those resources vowelled by the way?
quendidil
Textkit Member

Postby Twpsyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Al Kitaab is vowelled in the vocabulary, and only occasionally in the texts (with a tricky word or two). Likewise Teach Yourself, which however relies heavily on transliteration in the vocabulary and grammar sections. These two books are training students to read every-day unvowelled MSA, not the Koran. The big orange book (EMSA) is vowelled more liberally, and seems to give you a more formal, classicalish version of MSA.
Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Postby annis » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm a big fan of Wheeler Thankston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. All the texts — even the Qur'aan — are not voweled, but every example in the grammar discussion has a romanization beside it. It's layout will be familiar to anyone used to the customary way Greek and Latin are still taught.

It's mid-priced, but you can also purchase the answer key.

I've not really kept up on classical Arabic web sites, which are mostly Islamist in focus.

Right now I have a lovely case of bronchitis, but once that's past I'd be glad to talk you through the emphatics via Skype or something. One hint about them, though — they are mostly noticed by the effect they have on surrounding vowels.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Arabic resources

Postby mingshey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:07 pm

quendidil wrote:Can anyone here recommend any resources for Arabic that you've found useful? Preferably free, or at least affordable on a student's budget.

There's the FSI language courses. Arabic here.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Arabic resources

Postby Faylasoof » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:33 am

utlub ul-'ilm min al-mahad il al-laHad
[Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave]
Faylasoof
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board