Newcomer with question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Orchard
Textkit Neophyte

Newcomer with question

Post by Orchard »

Hi,

For reasons I can't explain, I have become hooked on learning Greek.

I started with John Dobson's "Learn New Testament Greek". Then I bought Mounce's "Basics of Biblical Greek", which I am finishing within a few weeks (plus the workbook). I purchased Athenaze I, which I will finish in a few days. Then I will review with the Athenaze workbook.

I intend to buy Athenaze II and the workbook, but I also want a good grammar that teaches Attic greek grammar up to an intermediate level. I really need a supplement to Athenaze that is sequential in the way it teaches grammar.

So, I am curious if any of the experienced Greek learners here can advise me. I need something friendly but thorough, preferably with self-correcting exercises of some kind.

Thanks,
Orchard

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-An ... 0071431802

The grammar is quite thorough but I am not all that impressed with the reading excersises. The paragraphs are fine but there are a lot of single sentences and short little proverbs. They are hard to understand either because of lack of context or because of the idioms used in proverbs. The translation is given in the back of the book.
Just the same, for what you say you want, this book should do the trick.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

There is a website with excellent supplementary materials designed to accompany Teach Yourself Ancient Greek - but the exercises can be used by anyone. Loads of Greek sentences with translation keys.

Only problem is that sigma is written as 'c' :( : . But if you survive that initial turn-off ...

http://www.tyancientgreek.org/main.shtml

Cheers,
Int

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Interaxus wrote:Only problem is that sigma is written as 'c' :( : . But if you survive that initial turn-off ...
It doesn't take that long to get used to it. The only time it throws me off now is when looking in the vocabulary list. When ever I see this list of words starting with a sigma, I automatically "think" that I am at the beginning, ie. at the English "C" instead of at the Sigma.

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Interaxus wrote:There is a website with excellent supplementary materials designed to accompany Teach Yourself Ancient Greek - but the exercises can be used by anyone. Loads of Greek sentences with translation keys.

Only problem is that sigma is written as 'c' :( : . But if you survive that initial turn-off ...

http://www.tyancientgreek.org/main.shtml

Cheers,
Int
Now that is funny...using the medieval sigma in ancient application. Go figure.