Vir Servos Laborare Desedero

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
blutoonwithcarrotandnail
Textkit Fan

Vir Servos Laborare Desedero

Post by blutoonwithcarrotandnail »

My book says that

'VIR SERVOS'

is 'bound' to the rest of the sentence which is 'LABORARE DESEDERO'

What does it exactly mean by 'bound'

This sounds 'specious' or 'artistic and misleading' to me without
clear meaning.

Thanks.
cuts like ice cream fast like a razor blade

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I've never heard that terminology before. It doesn't seem necessary. I suppose they mean that the nouns combine with the verbs to make sentences, but that isn't hard to figure out.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salvete blutoonwithcarrotandnail Thesaureque,

What does the sentence mean? Without a context, you can only translate literally. I think servos is here a nominative (servus = servos). And so: "A man servant, I will have sunk down to work" OR "I will have been reduced to work AS a man-servant". In English the little word "as" BINDS the ideas together in the sentence. "Vir servos" are two predicate nouns (I think) BOUND to (linked to and describing) the subject of "I" in the sentence. If I'm right, then it's hard to translate the Latin formula in English and "bound" is as good a term as another to describe how predicate nouns operate with "sum" and in passive senses. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Quid vult dicere haec sententia? Sine contextu, verbum ad verbum anglicè vertere debes. Ut credo, hîc "servos" dictio nominativo casu est, ut "servus". Nisi fallor, nomines "vir servos" praedicatum est, quod subjectivum "desedero" verbi describit. Difficile quidem est usum Latinum anglicè vertere, quamobrem "bound" verbum anglicum ad describendum praedicatum aequè bona appellatio quàm alia. Quamquàm fortassè erro.