Textkit Logo

Verify translations 2

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Verify translations 2

Postby Boban » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:51 pm

1) Dies pugnae Alliensis ater fuit.
It was a dark day of battle at Alliensis.

2) Romani in dubiis rebus diem ex die Gallorum impetum exspectabant.
Romans expected Galls attack in unfavourable position day by day.

3) Custodes arcis dormiebant, tum subito M. Manlium clangor anserum Iunoni sacrorum excitavit.
Gardians of fortress sleeped, when suddenly M. Manlius was waken by quack of gooses devoted to Iunona.

4) Dux ceteros ad arma cito vocavit.
Leader has quickly called others on arms.

5) O defensores arcis, insigni virtute in pugna et acie non tantum Capitolium sed etiam rem publicam Romanam servavistis.

I have just one question here: how to translate "in pugna et acie"?
I am not sure because they both mean battle, so "in battle and battle"!?
Boban
Textkit Member
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:08 pm

Re: Verify translations 2

Postby thesaurus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Boban wrote:5) O defensores arcis, insigni virtute in pugna et acie non tantum Capitolium sed etiam rem publicam Romanam servavistis.

I have just one question here: how to translate "in pugna et acie"?
I am not sure because they both mean battle, so "in battle and battle"!?


Acies means something like "battle line," so you could say something like "in battle and on the front lines."

The rest of your translations look fine to me.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Re: Verify translations 2

Postby Boban » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:40 pm

thesaurus wrote:
Boban wrote:5) O defensores arcis, insigni virtute in pugna et acie non tantum Capitolium sed etiam rem publicam Romanam servavistis.

I have just one question here: how to translate "in pugna et acie"?
I am not sure because they both mean battle, so "in battle and battle"!?


Acies means something like "battle line," so you could say something like "in battle and on the front lines."

The rest of your translations look fine to me.


OK, but I am not sure why did they put those similar meaning words.
Boban
Textkit Member
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:08 pm

Re: Verify translations 2

Postby Cato » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Boban wrote:OK, but I am not sure why did they put those similar meaning words.

I think pugna is used more of man-to-man fights, whereas acies represents collective battle-action.
phpbb
Cato
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:10 am

Re: Verify translations 2

Postby Twpsyn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 am

1) Dies pugnae Alliensis ater fuit.
It was a dark day of battle at Alliensis.


Alliensis is an adjective modifying pugnae.

3) Custodes arcis dormiebant, tum subito M. Manlium clangor anserum Iunoni sacrorum excitavit.
Gardians of fortress sleeped, when suddenly M. Manlius was waken by quack of gooses devoted to Iunona.


The quack woke him. (Active not passive)

4) Dux ceteros ad arma cito vocavit.
Leader has quickly called others on arms.


Called to arms.
Twpsyn
Textkit Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 am
Location: Head: in the clouds


Return to Learning Latin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 70 guests