Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
1) Homo probe, egregiam multorum magsitratuum Romanorum probitatem laudabis.
Good men, you will praise remarkable goodnes of many Roman magistrates.
Question: Is homo probe - good men or honest man? Also for probitatem - goodnes or honesty?
2) Reliquiae hostium exercitus recessum facere statuent.
The rest of enemies army will decide to retreat.
3) Milites fortes, hostium adventum non timebitis.
Brave soldiers, you will not fear of enemies arrival.
4) In autumn you will see a lot of fruits.
Autumno in agris magnam copiam fructuum videbitis.
Question: When is "in" used with accussative and when with ablative?
5) Deer has branchy horns.
Cervo est ramosum cornua.
I am not sure if there needs to be "cervo est" or "cervo sunt" but since deer "cervo" is singular, my opinion is that "cervo est" is right.
6) Neptunus will because of ire raise big waves.
Neptunus ob iram magnas undas educabit.
- Textkit Member
- Posts: 161
- Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:08 pm
<b>Homo</b> is singular therefore it should be "good (or honest) man". <b>Probitatem</b> may be "goodness" or "honesty", unless some context makes one much more appropriate than the other.
The fifth translation I think should be <b>Cervo sunt ramosa cornua </b> (To the deer are branchy horns = the deer has branchy horns). The subject of the verb is the horns therefore the plural form <b>sunt</b> needs to be used.
- Textkit Fan
- Posts: 282
- Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:35 pm
- Location: Regina, SK; Canada
Boban wrote:Question: When is "in" used with accussative and when with ablative?
Accusative with the meaning 'into/onto' (indicating motion). Ablative with the meaning 'in/on' (indicating place).
- Textkit Member
- Posts: 126
- Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 am
- Location: Head: in the clouds
Return to Learning Latin
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Jandar and 63 guests