Textkit Logo

Lingua Latina Ch. 27

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

Lingua Latina Ch. 27

Postby wongallo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 am

Dear all,
wondering if anybody can help me with this:
Deus agricolarum est Saturnus, qui olim rex caeli fuit, sed a filio suo Iove e caelo pulsus in Italiam venit...

I would translate it as: The god of agriculture is Saturn, who was the king of the sky before, but was thrown out of the sky by his son Jove and came to Italy..

I am having trouble with the grammar. What is pulsus. Also in my translation I have added "and" where no "and" exists.

thanks
wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Alatius » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 am

Literally it says "The god of farmers is Saturn, who once was the king of heaven, but [who], driven out of heaven by his son Jove, came to Italy." It is perfectly fine, or maybe even recommended, to reformulate this with a subordinate clause, as you have done.

pulsus is the perfect (passive) participle of pello, "beat; drive out; push; banish". This verb is borrowed into English as "expel".
Alatius
Textkit Fan

Postby Essorant » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm

The word is also related to the nonborrowed word <i>felt</i> (a beaten fabric) and the <i>-vil</i> of anvil, from Early English <i>anfilt</i> (something beaten on). <pre></pre>
Essorant
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin