Textkit Logo

Lingua Latina Ch. 27

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Lingua Latina Ch. 27

Postby wongallo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 am

Dear all,
wondering if anybody can help me with this:
Deus agricolarum est Saturnus, qui olim rex caeli fuit, sed a filio suo Iove e caelo pulsus in Italiam venit...

I would translate it as: The god of agriculture is Saturn, who was the king of the sky before, but was thrown out of the sky by his son Jove and came to Italy..

I am having trouble with the grammar. What is pulsus. Also in my translation I have added "and" where no "and" exists.

thanks
wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Alatius » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 am

Literally it says "The god of farmers is Saturn, who once was the king of heaven, but [who], driven out of heaven by his son Jove, came to Italy." It is perfectly fine, or maybe even recommended, to reformulate this with a subordinate clause, as you have done.

pulsus is the perfect (passive) participle of pello, "beat; drive out; push; banish". This verb is borrowed into English as "expel".
Alatius
Textkit Fan

Postby Essorant » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm

The word is also related to the nonborrowed word <i>felt</i> (a beaten fabric) and the <i>-vil</i> of anvil, from Early English <i>anfilt</i> (something beaten on). <pre></pre>
Essorant
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin