Textkit Logo

Sermo vulgaris

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Sermo vulgaris

Postby Pedrus Lemus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Hello everybody!

Does anybody know what is the modern dialect or language which most resembles the vulgar Latin or the latin itself ?
Pedrus Lemus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby timeodanaos » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Phonologically, Sardinian is the most conservative of the romance languages.

In terms of vocabulary, Italian (of which Sardinian can be taken as a dialect) is the most latin, as the Italian paeninsula has no history of prior, celtic languages, such as the French have.

In terms of syntax and morphology, I believe it is Romansch, a small language spoken in Switzerland. Romanian also.

So I remember to have read in various sources at least.
timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Postby Estoniacus Inoriginale » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Sardinian has several dialects, each with varying features. Phonologically, the Logudoresu dialect is most similar to classical Latin, actaully, from wikipedia:
The Latin short vowels [i] and [u] have preserved their original sound (in Italian and Spanish they became [e] and [o], respectively; in Portuguese and Catalan the [u] was also kept but written as an 'o'). For example: siccus > sicu 'dry' (Italian secco, Spanish seco).
Preservation of the plosive sounds [k] and [ɡ] before front vowels [e] and [i] in many (though not all) words. For example: kentu 'hundred'; dèke 'ten' or gheneru 'son in law' (Italian cento, dièci, genero with [tʃ] and [dʒ] ).
Absence of diphthongizations found in other Romance languages. For example: potest > podet 'he can' (Italian può, Spanish puede); bonus > bónu 'good' (Italian buono, Spanish bueno).
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4Hfk&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin