Is there something similar to Lingua Latina for German?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Is there something similar to Lingua Latina for German?

Post by wongallo »

Dear all,
I have found Lingua Latina effective for acquiring Latin, and I am wondering if anyone knows of similar type books to learn German.

Thanks

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Try searching for "Deutsche Spachlehre für Ausländer". I'm using it to learn German, and it's quite good. No English or any other language besides German is used in this book.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wongallo »

Dear Amadeus,
I'll take you up on this book. Just to make sure, does it happen to be by:
Dora Schulz and Heinz Griesbach.

thanks

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Yup! :)
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

I have the same question but for French. Anybody who know a similar method for French?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I find "Deutsch - Warum Nicht?" from Deutsche Welle and following courses quite interesting and useful.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

Banana tree wrote:I have the same question but for French. Anybody who know a similar method for French?
I've been using Beginning French: A Cultural Approach by Hendrix & Meiden, which is based around progressive readings and related exericises. It is now (sadly) out of print, but used copies shouldn't be too difficult to find. The major drawback is, of course, that there is no accompanying audio (and for French this really is a problem...)
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

For the advanced learner, Schulz and Griesbach also wrote an excellent systematic grammar of the German language with many elaborated examples for the non-native users. I think it is called Grammatik der deutschen Sprache (simple and plain), but I cannot be sure right now.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Banana tree wrote:I have the same question but for French. Anybody who know a similar method for French?
Lookie here: viewtopic.php?t=8288

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

spiphany wrote:The major drawback is, of course, that there is no accompanying audio (and for French this really is a problem...)
It's OK. I can get listening and speaking practise from other sources.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Amadeus, where did you acquire Deutsche Sprachlehre für Ausländer? Are you using GoogleBooks? because I can only find Teil 2.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Why, from Amazon.com, of course! Google Deutsche Sprachlehre and you'll see a German Amazon page, access it and then you'll see a link to the American site at the top. The edition I got is a bit old, but I'm not complaining. I'm enjoying it very much!

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Oh, wait... I just tried that and it didn't work. Just search for Deutsche Sprachlehre on Amazon.com. :wink: