eggue vs kurios

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
MDS
Textkit Fan

eggue vs kurios

Post by MDS »

I wanted to know what the difference between<br />eggue and kurios was. Sorry I don't know any greek so a simple english explanation would help!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:eggue vs kurios

Post by klewlis »

well, frankly I don't see anything *similar* about them... they are completely different words.<br /><br />kurios is an adjective carrying the concept of having authority or power, lord, master, chief, etc. in koine it actually becomes a noun used in the new testament as "Lord"<br /><br />egguos is a noun meaning "giving surety or bail".<br /><br />what's the context??<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

They were in a section regarding Greek marriage practices. Eggue was said to be like a bethrothal and kurios was used in the same paragraph but was not explained.<br /><br />So yeah, I'd have to say "giving surety or bail" is not what I thought eggue would mean!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

that's the only definition of egguos that my middle liddell gives... it can also be substantive, as a noun: "surety"<br /><br />I could see it relating to betrothal if there is a dowry or some sort of contractual agreement involved.... ?<br /><br />hard to say without the context.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

they did discuss agreements so perhaps "surety" does work<br />thanks!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

The big L&S on Perseus does give betrothal as one of the senses of [size=150]ἐγγύη .<br /><br />http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/cgi- ... 3D%2330015