Survey of Latin Literature?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Survey of Latin Literature?

Post by thesaurus »

Does anyone have suggestions for what list might make a decent survey of Latin literature? I'm getting to the point in my Latin where I'm eager to cover large amounts of material and really get a sense of our patrimonium latinum. I'm not on any sort of time table, and I'd like to give myself an action plan for the next several years of reading. I'm more interested in reading quantity than close reading at this point, as I think I've hit somewhat of a plateaue in my reading comprehension.

Usque ad hodie my reading has been scattered, as I only took formal classes through the intermediate level. So far I've read a few books of the Aeneid, some Caesar, a smattering of Renaissance authors, but mainly a lot lot lot of Cicero (I'm getting ready to move on :shock:).

Would it be best to work chronologically, from Plautus to Boethius or something, or perhaps alternate between genera? What are graduate students in the Classics expected to have read by the time they get their MA? I will be more than thankful for any syllabi or recommendations.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, perhaps try reading this book online by Mackail. i am about to finish reading it tonight. it may give you some good ideas of who to read next, as he identifies which authors (and sometimes which of their specific works) are particularly worth reading in his opinion.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iuUqfP ... X-WmKGwf-g

cheers :)