Another New person

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Sheryn
Textkit Neophyte

Another New person

Post by Sheryn »

Hello,
Nice to meet you all.
I registered to learn Latin at the local commity collage, something I’ve always wanted to learn but never had time (my old school made it a 6 unit course) but now I need 3 semesters foreign language anyway, so I figured now was a good time. . It looks like there’s a tread for the book were using so Ill see some of you there as soon as I can buy it.

Here’s the thing, I want to get a head start because I have a strong learning disability and foreign langue has always been hard for me, and I don’t spell well. So I’m kinda freaked. So I came here looking to get a bit a head, and maby get my nevers calmed.
I’m really egger to learn I just don’t know what I need to do so I can keep up.

Anyway looking forward to getting to know you all.
Sheryn :D
Soory about the spelling- fast typing and Learning Disabitys are a bad combantion

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Hello and welcome to Textkit! I think you'll find that this is a nice place to hang around.

As for spelling, Latin is much, much easier to spell than English, so you won't have a lot of problems there. :wink:

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I don't know what your native tongue is but English is definitely not easy to spell. I speak Dutch and English. Dutch is by far easier to spell.
I don't know what your disability is but the best advise I can think of now is: Don't cram. You can not learn a language by studying for hours one day per week (or at least I can't). Do some study every day. When you get to reading Latin sentences, read them a few times per day until you know what they mean without having to think about it in English. (That is what I try to do with Greek. I can't see why it should be different with Latin.)

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Bert wrote: When you get to reading Latin sentences, read them a few times per day until you know what they mean without having to think about it in English.
Salve, Bert:

Very sound advice! It might be difficult at first when nothing seems to make sense, but gradually the pieces will fall into place, so to speak, and you will experience a deep satisfying sensation of being able to understand with a Greek or Latin mind.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.