Help on exercises 1

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Help on exercises 1

Post by Boban »

Can someone verify these exercises done by me?

1) At sociorum copiae magna ducum fortitudine et virtute animosos Turni milites vincunt.
But great number of allied great leaders with bravery and virtue defeat daring Turns army.

2) Given sentence: Homines mores et leges servabant.
Use following words to complete sentence: pater, patria, pax, in, bellum, et.

In pace et bello homines mores patrum et leges patriarum servabant.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

The only mistake I see is your interpretation of <b>sociorum</b> and <b>magna</b>. I believe the one is a noun here "allies' or of allies" and the other should modify the word <b>fortitudine</b>

<b>At sociorum copiae magna ducum fortitudine et virtute animosos Turni milites vincunt.</b>
But allies' forces with great leaders' fortitude and virtue spirited Turnus' soldiers overcome.

(But allies' forces with great fortitude and virtue of the leaders overcome the spirited soldiers of Turnus.)

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

Essorant wrote:The only mistake I see is your interpretation of <b>sociorum</b> and <b>magna</b>. I believe the one is a noun here "allies' or of allies" and the other should modify the word <b>fortitudine</b>

<b>At sociorum copiae magna ducum fortitudine et virtute animosos Turni milites vincunt.</b>
But allies' forces with great leaders' fortitude and virtue spirited Turnus' soldiers overcome.

(But allies' forces with great fortitude and virtue of the leaders overcome the spirited soldiers of Turnus.)
OK, I agree with you.