Help on translation from Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Help on translation from Latin

Post by Boban »

My native language is not english, so bear that in mind.

1) E longinquis terris magnam copiam auri, argenti, signorum, librorum, captivorum Romam vehebant.

From far away lands they used to bring plenty of gold, silver, signs, books, prisoners of Rome.

My remarks:
a) because vehebant is imperfect I am not sure that English translation is right;
b) I translated magnam copiam as plenty

2) Forum Romanum copia aedificorum publicorum, basilicis, curiis, deorum templis, virorum signis Romani ornabant.

Roman forum Romans used to ornate with lots of public buildings, basilicas, councils, temples of gods, human statues.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Re: Help on translation from Latin

Post by cdm2003 »

Boban wrote:My native language is not english, so bear that in mind.

1) E longinquis terris magnam copiam auri, argenti, signorum, librorum, captivorum Romam vehebant.

From far away lands they used to bring plenty of gold, silver, signs, books, prisoners of Rome.
Nicely done. Because "vehebant" is imperfect, your translation is just fine. "Plenty" is also a good translation. "Signum," should either be translated as a "statue" or even, by synecdoche, "marble."
Boban wrote:2) Forum Romanum copia aedificorum publicorum, basilicis, curiis, deorum templis, virorum signis Romani ornabant.

Roman forum Romans used to ornate with lots of public buildings, basilicas, councils, temples of gods, human statues.
Try, "decorated," for "used to ornate." In English, we don't really use "ornate" as an active verb.

Best,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

cdm2003 wrote:
Boban wrote:My native language is not english, so bear that in mind.

Nicely done. Because "vehebant" is imperfect, your translation is just fine. "Plenty" is also a good translation. "Signum," should either be translated as a "statue" or even, by synecdoche, "marble."
Boban wrote:2) Forum Romanum copia aedificorum publicorum, basilicis, curiis, deorum templis, virorum signis Romani ornabant.

Try, "decorated," for "used to ornate." In English, we don't really use "ornate" as an active verb.

Best,
Chris
1) Well, actually I have found an error.
Because noun "Roma" is in accusative (Romam) I had to translate it like:
From far away lands they used to bring in Rome plenty of gold, silver, marbles, books, prisoners.

2) I agree, decorate was the word that I was looking for, but again, English is not my native language.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Boban wrote:1) Well, actually I have found an error.
From far away lands they used to bring in Rome plenty of gold, silver, marbles, books, prisoners.
Missed it...but I think you want "to Rome" as opposed to "in Rome."
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

cdm2003 wrote:
Boban wrote:1) Well, actually I have found an error.
Missed it...but I think you want "to Rome" as opposed to "in Rome."
Yes, thanks for english correction.