Textkit Logo

Unicode characters for showing metric length?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Unicode characters for showing metric length?

Postby LSorenson » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Does anyone know what unicode page and/or codes are for the characters for the short, long, short/long (anceps) and other poetical and metric characters are contained in?

Louis
LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Cardo Font has a private range

Postby LSorenson » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, maybe I'm answering my own question. After hunting through various fonts with Windows character map, I found a private range in the Cardo font. Characters U+F700. But since this is a private range, users who would view this on a web page would have to have the Cardo font installed.

I know one of the commoner methods is using the characters x u -, but I'm trying to find a more elegant solution for doing meter on web pages.

Louis
LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Lucus Eques » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:46 pm

The vowels can be done easily on a Mac. But not the syllables beneath the lines.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Postby Alatius » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:52 pm

This PDF should answer your question: http://www.brill.nl/downloads/Metrical- ... ode101.pdf

Edit: Although your visitors will of course have to have a font that incorporates these character, something that will most likely not be the case.
Last edited by Alatius on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alatius
Textkit Fan

Postby cb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:52 am

hi, the unicode grk font i used to do the homer and grk tragedy scansions on my site was bosphoros. the only combo i couldn't get with that font was capital letter + accent + aspirate + macron; the other combos were possible.

you can use the private range of fonts if you pdf the doc. cheers :)
cb
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek