Incolae si feminas insulae dam_narent...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Incolae si feminas insulae dam_narent...

Post by mariek »

<br />I have questions on these sentences which are all somewhat related. I'm not sure whether I have correctly translated the various verb tenses. Sorry about the underscores; the forum automatically weeds out words it thinks are bad.<br /><br /><br />Incolae si feminas insulae dam_narent, nautae ad terram venire non dubitarent<br />(dam_narent = imp. subj.; dubitarent = imp. subj.)<br /><br />Translation:<br />If the inhabitants were condemning the women to the island, the sailors would not hesitate to come to the land.<br /><br />Is this a correct translation of insulae? My other guess is that "the women of the island" was intended.<br /><br /><br />Incolae si insulae feminas dam_navissent, nautae ad terram venire non dubitavissent<br />(dam_navissent = plu. subj.; dubitavissent = plu. subj.)<br /><br />Translation:<br />If the inhabitants had condemned the women to the island, the sailors would not have hesitated to come to the land.<br /><br /><br />Incolae si insulae feminas insidiarum dam_nent, nautae ad provinciam venire non dubitent<br />(dam_nent = pres. subj; dubitent = pres. subj.)<br /><br />Translation:<br />If the inhabitents shoud condemn the women of treachery to the island, the sailors would not hesitate to come to the province.<br /><br /><br />Incolae si feminas in turba dam_nabunt, nautae ad insulam venire non dubitabunt<br />(dam_nabunt = fut.; dubitabunt = fut.)<br /><br />Translation:<br />If the inhabitants will condemn the women in the crowd, the sailors will not hesitate to come to the island.<br /><br /><br />Incolae si feminas invidiae dam_naverint, nautae sententiam de fama incolarum mutare non dubitabunt<br />(dam_naverint = pres. subj.; dubitabunt = fut.)<br /><br />Translation:<br />If the inhabitants condemned the women to the island, the sailors will not hesitate to change the opinion about the report.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Incolae si feminas insulae dam_narent...

Post by Keesa »

Whew! Those sailors do not like those women, do they? <br /><br /> "...condemning the women to the island..." makes sense to me...get the women off the land and onto the island, and the sailors would come on the land (but not on the island)...<br /><br />Maybe. :)

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

>> Sorry about the underscores; the forum automatically weeds out words it thinks are bad.<<<br /><br />Can we do something about that? It is starting to get a little tedious. There was a quotation down in the agora, I think it was, the other day which made no sense until I realised that the same verb had been deleted just leaving an 'et'.<br /><br />I'm sure all of us here are mature enough to not abuse the ability to type in words which might be objected to just for the thrill of it.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=700;start=0#6723 date=1064407219]<br />"...condemning the women to the island..." makes sense to me... [/quote]<br /><br />That's what I thought too, but I wasn't completely sure. If "insulae" in these sentences mean "to the island", then how would you rephrase the sentence to have the meaning "women of the island"? Wouldn't you also use the Genetive form for "of the island"? So it seems that the sentence can be interpreted both ways, which is rather confusing!<br /><br />But what about the Latin to English translation of the verb forms? This is what I'm having trouble with.<br /><br />In these sentences, we have several forms of dam_nare: Imperfect Subjunctive, Pluperfect Subjunctive, Present Subjunctive, and Future. Did I translate these into English correctly?<br /><br />Similarly for the forms of dubitare: Imperfect Subjunctive, Pluperfect Subjunctive, Present Subjunctive, and Future. Did I translate these into English correctly?<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=700;start=0#6737 date=1064416782]<br />Can we do something about that? [/quote]<br /><br />I understand your frustration. This was the first time I've ever run into this. I was perplexed after several attempts, wondering why some words got truncated as: arent, avissent, ent, abunt, averint. <br /><br />If it's possible to change the level of censoring, it would be Jeff's call. I think that most of us here are mature enough not to abuse the system. However this is an educational site with many younger visitors, so it may be more prudent to err towards a higher level of censoring.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=700;start=0#6747 date=1064422257]<br /><br />it may be more prudent to err towards a higher level of censoring.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agree. I like knowing that badwords (even the ones that look bad!) can't get in. I like the censorship level the way it is.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=700;start=0#6780 date=1064440403]<br />I agree. I like knowing that badwords (even the ones that look bad!) can't get in. I like the censorship level the way it is. [/quote]<br /><br />Jeff has decided to lighten up on the censoring. So this means I should be able to type the verb damnare, which means "to condemn".<br /><br />