The difference between "tum" and "deinde"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
DoctrinaeStudeo
Textkit Neophyte

The difference between "tum" and "deinde"

Post by DoctrinaeStudeo »

I'm learning through Benjamin D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners and I'm a bit confused. What is the difference between tum and deinde? I've read their definitions, but if I'm understanding it, I'm not really sure. English and Latin examples would be appreciated (Like when the english "then" would be translated into deinde as opposed to tum, and vice versa.)

Thanks in advance.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

My understanding and made up examples are as follows:

Tum: "then" as in "at that time;" ex., "Caesar imperator fuit; tum Romam regnabat."

Deinde: "then" as in "next in sequence." English: "Add flour, then add eggs." etc. "Caesar Galliam vicit deinde Brittaniam invasit."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

<b>Deinde</b> is a little more like English <i>thence</i> "from there, from that". It is a compound of <b>de</b> and <b>inde</b>.<pre></pre>

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

They are interchangeable in this way: they both can mean "then" in a sequence of events.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

DoctrinaeStudeo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DoctrinaeStudeo »

Ah, thank you then. This really clears things up a bit.