Can you help me understand this question?

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
LatinGirly
Textkit Neophyte

Can you help me understand this question?

Post by LatinGirly »

In the workbook for wheelock I have this question: Give the third declension -or and -io nouns derived from the fourth principle part of creo, their literal meanings, and their direct english derivatives.

I don't completely understand how I am supposed to answer. I think I'm supposed to drop of the last letter of the 4th pp and add either -io or -or to that. But then how would I know the litteral meaning?

Thanks for assisting!
Peace

jeffclef
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Can you help me understand this question?

Post by jeffclef »

I'm just a novice, but I think I can point you in the right direction.

You've already encountered the verb laudare, which is cognate with English laud and means "to praise." Its four principle parts are laudo, laudare, laudavi, laudatum.

In Latin, adjectives and nouns are often formed from the fourth principle part by dropping the -um or -us ending and appending the appropriate suffix. Dropping the -um of laudatum, and adding the suffix -io, yields the Latin noun laudatio, from which we get the English word laudation. Both words signify "praise." While English has no cognate noun for Latin laudator ("praiser, one who praises"), we do have the adjective laudatory, which means "expressing praise."

In a similar fashion, you should be able to deduce the meaning of the -io and -or nouns derived from the verb creo based on the resemblance to their English derivatives. Then all that remains is for you to decline the two Latin nouns in all their cases.

Jeff

P.S. The footnote in Chapter 7 regarding the rules for -(t)or, and -tio third declension nouns may provide further clarification.