Textkit Logo

eggue vs kurios

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

eggue vs kurios

Postby MDS » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:03 am

I wanted to know what the difference between<br />eggue and kurios was. Sorry I don't know any greek so a simple english explanation would help!
MDS
Textkit Fan

Re:eggue vs kurios

Postby klewlis » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:11 am

well, frankly I don't see anything *similar* about them... they are completely different words.<br /><br />kurios is an adjective carrying the concept of having authority or power, lord, master, chief, etc. in koine it actually becomes a noun used in the new testament as "Lord"<br /><br />egguos is a noun meaning "giving surety or bail".<br /><br />what's the context??<br /><br />
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MDS » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:24 pm

They were in a section regarding Greek marriage practices. Eggue was said to be like a bethrothal and kurios was used in the same paragraph but was not explained.<br /><br />So yeah, I'd have to say "giving surety or bail" is not what I thought eggue would mean!
MDS
Textkit Fan

Postby klewlis » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:18 pm

that's the only definition of egguos that my middle liddell gives... it can also be substantive, as a noun: "surety"<br /><br />I could see it relating to betrothal if there is a dowry or some sort of contractual agreement involved.... ?<br /><br />hard to say without the context.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MDS » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:46 pm

they did discuss agreements so perhaps "surety" does work<br />thanks!
MDS
Textkit Fan

Postby bingley » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:32 am

The big L&S on Perseus does give betrothal as one of the senses of [face=SPIonic]e)ggu/h [/face].<br /><br />http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3D%2330015
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek