Hurrah!!!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Hurrah!!!

Post by Keesa »

I'm starting Lesson Nine in Latin for Beginners, and moving on to the second declension!! I'm so excited!!

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Hurrah!!!

Post by mariek »

Congrats on your milestone. Do you reward yourself after completing each lesson?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I would, but I can never think of anything to reward myself with. :-\

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

How about a latin book? or books.....

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

a new book after each lesson??? <br /><br />that's a lot of new books! but I wouldn't complain ;)<br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Does anyone disagree that you can never have too many books? :) Don't think so!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

no, one can never have too many books.<br /><br />however, one *can* spend too much money on books... and that is a serious illness from which I have been suffering all my life. <br /><br />:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

You gave me a kick up, Keesa. ;)<br /><br />I'm now on the Lesson 12 of First Greek Book.<br />I think I'll have to reward myself with a cup of espresso.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Espresso, huh? Now, there's a good idea...if only there were a place around here that makes it. :(

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Espresso? Urghh... horrible stuff IMHO. I'd reward myself with a coke, if I were you. Or some cake or a pizza.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yeah.... espresso is pretty harsh stuff.<br /><br />however, one of my favourite rewards is a Caramel Chocolate Latte with whipped cream.... mmmmmmm....

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Umm....you took 1 month (at least!) to get onto the 2nd declension? :o<br /><br />The workload and density of information increases dramatically each lesson. The start is supposed to be a 2 day job! ;)<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=685;start=0#6570 date=1064333599]<br />Umm....you took 1 month (at least!) to get onto the 2nd declension? :o<br /><br />The workload and density of information increases dramatically each lesson. The start is supposed to be a 2 day job! ;)<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />hey, let's be encouraging! everyone works at their own pace! i've been working on wheelock for AGES. :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I certainly did not mean that negatively! It was like a friendly jab on the shoulder :D<br /><br />Heck I am slapping myself to become faster! But levering myself up at 7 a.m. in the morning for that damn bus makes me so tired! <br /><br />Keesa doesn't have to go anywhere! Tell her off ;)<br /><br />je t'aime vraiment

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I'd treat myself by making chocolate truffles. A treat for me that I can also share with others... and I haven't heard any complaints yet. :)<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=685;start=0#6573 date=1064335117]<br />hey, let's be encouraging! everyone works at their own pace! i've been working on wheelock for AGES. :) [/quote]<br />Yes, exactly! I'm working at a snail's pace. It's quite a challenge trying to carve out time for Latin when there are so many other demainds (at home & at work) and interests (yes, there are other interests besides Latin!).<br /><br />Besides, we aren't all quick studies like our resident Bishop... ;)<br /><br />I can't decide whether English is helping me learn Latin words, or vice versa. I'm finding some Latin words easier to remember because I can relate it to an English word I already know. For example, unda from the English undulate. Right now I'm struggling with verb tenses. I'm hoping it will all clear up soon.<br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

You think getting up as 7 is bad! Ha! My bus leaves at 10 to 7! (So just try to get a lift everyday :) )<br /><br />Anyway, I do think it's better to go at your own pace sometimes, the trouble is then that you might just decide not to do any work today, as the weathers so sunny, and oh... can't do any today either.... :P<br />But you probably all have no problems with anything like that, as you (crazy people) actually like Latin...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I meant to do my work today, <br />But a brown bird sang in the apple tree, <br />And a butterfly flitted across the field, <br />And all the leaves were calling me. <br /><br />And a wind went sighing over the land, <br />Tossing the grasses to and fro, <br />And a rainbow held out his shining hand, <br />So what could I do but laugh, and go? <br /><br />Even when you like the work, you can still be tempted...believe me! ;)<br /><br />[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=685;start=0#6570 date=1064333599]<br />Umm....you took 1 month (at least!) to get onto the 2nd declension? :o<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Longer, I believe. :) I was sick for several days, and I don't think even you would want to do Latin when you're as sick as I was. <br /><br />In addition, I've been preparing for/taking an insane battery of college-entry tests, and lovely fun studies such as Latin have had to give way for Euclid and Pythagorus. (Being born Greek is the only good thing about those two, I sometimes think!) <br /><br />IN addition, don't forget that I'm working more slowly than you are because I"m doing five languages a day. You get them mixed up if you try to go too fast...believe me, I know! :)<br /><br />However, I should be able to do more Latin soon, since I'm no longer sick, and I have most of my test worries behind me. (I still have one more coming up, though. :()

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=685;start=0#6576 date=1064339615]<br /><br />I'd treat myself by making chocolate truffles. A treat for me that I can also share with others... and I haven't heard any complaints yet. :)<br /><br />[/quote]<br />Chocolate truffles????? Yumm!!! That sounds like a good idea to me-especially if they're white chocolate!<br /><br />Don't knock 'er Episcopus, not only is she working on learning 5 languages, she has to keep the house clean, and with mom and I tracking in dirt, and the hair that our dog loses, and the dishes that we manage to get dirty it's an all day thing just to keep it clean! Plus, she helps me with my studies, writes 20-50 page letters to her friends and helps our mother run our 3/4 acre plant nursery.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Wow, is Keesa Cinderella?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I have read a bit about truffles, but didn't see, not to say taste, it.<br />Well, there are not many good espresso shops out there and it cools down too fast, beause of its small quantity. But it gives me, snap, a sharp alertness and an electrical "brrrrr"(crazy, yeah, that's what I am ;))<br /><br />After covering swiftly the terse(or laconic) Chase and Phillips, I started over again with White. I like the slow paced, step by step way this book takes. I remember only vaguely what I learned from C&P.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Wow 5 languages at once! :) Congrats, when you master each that will be an amazing accomplishment. Personally by the time I spend 2 hours doing Latin homework for school every night I am pretty well exhausted (not to mention far behind in everything else). I would be interested to know where others are in their various books eg. Wheelocks in particular.<br /><br />And Puella Parva, if ya cleaned up after yourself maybe Keesa would have to more time to do things like add a 6th language to her repetoire! :)<br /><br />Keesa how many hours of sleep do you get on average per night? I can't imagine too many.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

<<I would be interested to know where others are in their various books eg. Wheelocks in particular.>><br /><br />I'm doing Wheelock, up to chapter 20! At least one other on the board (Klewlis) is at the same point.<br /><br />Cheers<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Phil link=board=6;threadid=685;start=15#6671 date=1064373859]<br />I'm doing Wheelock, up to chapter 20!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I don't have Wheelock, but I think it has only 20 chapters? So this means you're almost done! Right? <br />

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

mariek:<br />I don't have Wheelock, but I think it has only 20 chapters? So this means you're almost done! Right? <br /><br /><br />Actually Wheelock has 40 chapters so he's about half way there. Good job Phil forge on! I'm on Ch 3 (don't remember if I said this in another thread or not) and doing 2 chapters per week at school.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Most of the last 10 chapters are extraordinarily easy though, so I would say material-wise, chapter 20 is about 65% of the way through ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

the last 10 are easy, you say? That is good motivation because I am sure getting bogged down by third declension adjectives and perfect passive verbs (anyone know why they'd teach us those before participles? anyone? didn't think so).<br /><br />alas, I am still on chapter 19 and phil is ahead of me... I will catch up soon though ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The real question would be:<br /><br />Why does Wheelock save some of the most common but irregular verbs (i.e. fero and volo) until after all the hard stuff? Why does he save questions with num and nonne until the final chapter?<br /><br />Oh well 8)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=685;start=15#6669 date=1064373487]<br />Keesa how many hours of sleep do you get on average per night? I can't imagine too many.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Eight hours exactly. I go to bed at nine and get up at five; usually I do Latin and Gaelic (the others have to wait until later) then get everybody else up. I do the housework because I like it, and my sister is always good about helping when I feel overwhelmed. <br /><br />And Episcopus is right, really; I should be doing much more on Latin, and indeed all my language studies. The weather has just been so beautiful here....(I'm explaining, not excusing. ;))

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

mariek - what is unda? <br /><br />And for me to be called a 'quick study' is ridiculous! I am doch in the holidays, but certainly not now! You, as I recall, are doing the Perfect Subjunctive forms. Are you doing the syntax also i.e Purpose Clauses etc?<br /><br />I am 55% through Latin For Beginners ;D I am aiming for a December finish because of how slow I do be working. <br />To think that I would have finished in about 3 months as opposed to 6 angers me. <br /><br />5 languages at once at home...that's either amazing or stupid. In my opinion it is the latter ;) Concentration would be less...concentrated!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />mariek - what is unda?
<br /><br />Hey, I thought you owned a dictionary... now what does one do with those things? Hmm... ::)<br /><br />unda means wave.<br /><br /><br />
To think that I would have finished in about 3 months as opposed to 6 angers me.
<br /><br />I'm confused, you're angered because you will be finishing BLD in 3 months instead of 6 months? :-\<br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I think Episcopus is angry, because he'll finish the course in 6 and not in the 3 months he thought he would need for it. Anything else wouldn't really make sense, would it :)?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=685;start=15#6740 date=1064420239]<br />5 languages at once at home...that's either amazing or stupid. In my opinion it is the latter ;) [/quote]<br /><br />Why can't it be both? :) Some days I just fly through them, and everything makes perfect sense, and I'm filled with a sense of accomplishment, and it's amazing-and other days, it drags, and Gaelic gerunds get tangled up with Latin adjectives, and nothing makes sense, and on those days...well, let's just say that it is far from sensible! ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=685;start=30#6750 date=1064423963]<br /><br /><br /><br />Hey, I thought you owned a dictionary... now what does one do with those things? Hmm... ::)<br /><br />unda means wave.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Alors what is a fluctus, us when it's at home?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I guess unda and fluctus are synonyms. <br /><br />It seems like I should get a book of Latin synonyms...<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Different connotations really. Fluctus is from the past participle of fluo, so literally it is a "flowing" and could mean quite a few things.<br /><br />As for the concentration of your studies, I would hardly think that learning a language in 3 months would be any more productive than learning 5 at once. I'm sure Keesa manages to balance them out more or less or else she probably wouldn't be doing so many. I find that the longer you can spend on something, the more attention you actually pay to what you are learning.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

And I'm not trying to win a language race. I just keep on finding things-namely, languages-that interest me, and when something interests me, I want to know more about it. <br /><br />If I ever get to the point where one of my languages no longer interests me, or where trying to do so much at once makes it impossible to do anything at all, I'll drop one. <br /><br />I try to be sensible about my idiosyncrasies. :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Although fluctus, us is of the 4th declension? <br /><br />It's a wave, billow <br /><br /> :o