Aeneas as teamleader

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Aeneas as teamleader

Post by Interaxus »

I found this justification for reading Vergil in the original rather charming:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/08 ... latin.html

It sort of explained why I found myself identifying Nadal and Federer with those ancient show-offs Achilles and Hector ...

Cheers,
Int

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Awesome.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Interesting, at first I was almost...affronted, that we would water down a classical hero like that. Then i shut up and read the actual article. :lol:

There is something, to borrow from Lucus, awesome about the connection one can make with literature.

For me, in many ways, Aeneas represents that character I ought to have but fail miserably in attaining. :oops:

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

Tee-hee. My bubbly high school Latin teacher, always eager to show the class Latin In Real Life, showed us that fellow's book and declaimed parts of that passage to us in class once.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Nice...I had not really considered the differences between "fate" in the Iliad and "fate" in the Aeneid. I get so caught up in trying to understand the Latin that it's easy to lose sight of the deeper meanings of the text. The guy makes a nice point. Now, if someone could get the KC Royals to read the Aeneid, maybe we'd wind up in the World Series again!

Great essay!
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

As a soon-to-be Nittany Lion, this does my heart good.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute